K-9 For Sale - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

K-9 For Sale

DH came across an add last night regarding a PD selling a female K-9. First off they want $5,500 for this dog, which is just not going to happen. She was not very old so it made me wonder why they were getting rid of her.

Anyways, they said in their ad that this girl would be good for home protection. I might be wrong, but I thought with the training a K-9 receives that they would need a home where the owners would know not only how to handle the dog, but also the skills to become pack leader. I am not sure if this is explained right but I am really curious about this.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:59 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Re: K-9 For Sale

It would be interesting to see the ad, and know why they are selling her.

Now, some dogs go through a lot of training and then get washed out of police programs. They may not have what it takes to be a working K9, but are still strong, fearless, highly-trained, and willing to engage a threat when commanded to.

But you are right, such a dog should NOT be going to a "pet" home, where the dog is kept for "yard-protection", but to knowledgeable and experienced dog people who will know how to maintain her training, and will be able to stay in control.

The price is probably average for a trained "protection" dog, if that is indeed what she is. What you often see is un-ethical so-called trainers selling fear barkers at exorbitant prices to unsuspecting average Joes, and that is how the PD may have ended up with her in the first place.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Master Member

Kaper is a washout from Police training. His protection and obedience were above and beyond, however, he had no interest in tracking. The dogs here do alot of track work and it is a definite requirement. The current trainer was only a handler at the time Kaper was trained, but has said looking back Kaper could have probably had a career in another department or correctional institution, he just wasn't suited for here.
I suppose he could have been sold for protection purposes but wasn't.
DH has spent alot of time with the K9 section doing quarry work, etc, so he knew how to handle him. I agree that the dog should at least go to a home where the people are experienced dog people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 02:10 PM

Unfortunately, the municipality has probably deemed her "surplus" and are trying to sell her for their purchase price. I would venture to guess that if someone inquired with a lesser price and time moved on without selling her, they would release her for cheaper.

Also, and please understand, I deal with K-9 Handlers all the time, they are not the smartest at placing their washouts. The main one I deal with here will let them go to just about anyone who asks and for some ungodly reason simply being a cop seems to be good enough for taking on even a retired K-9 whether you have owned a dog in the past or not!!

Tina

Tina & the K9 Krew
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Technically I would be considered experienced dog people but I wouuld be very leary to bring a trained K-9 into my home.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 05:40 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DSuddTechnically I would be considered experienced dog people but I wouuld be very leary to bring a trained K-9 into my home.
My point exactly! Being an experienced dog person, you understand the resposibilities, requirements and nature of a trained working dog, and can make an honest assessments as to your abilities and limitations in having and caring for such a dog.

Many people cannot, but would love to have an "ex police K9" just for the bragging rights.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Elite Member

There is a guy that trains dogs here for K-9 that I will never use because he sold a GSD that didnt make the grade to a person that didnt know a thing about shepherds let alone a K-9. He bought the dog exclusively for bragging rights and he thinks it is funny for people to be afraid of this dog. The dog cannot be around children, has bit his young son and still has not been neutered and he thinks this is a police dog???.........He actually wants to BREED this poor dog. the guy had the gall to ask me if I would breed my female with him........NOT. Anyway, I lost all respect for this trainer because of this decision to sell this dog to this idiot and will never set foot on his property again. I cannot believe a responsible trainer or breeder would allow a dog to go to a home that was not prepared to deal with all of its issues and certainly never to one that wanted one for "bragging" rights!!!

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DSuddTechnically I would be considered experienced dog people but I wouuld be very leary to bring a trained K-9 into my home.
My home no, Kennel, yes until I can figure out what's in the dog's head. then I'd have to figure out how to De-Mil him a bit

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: K9MomUnfortunately, the municipality has probably deemed her "surplus" and are trying to sell her for their purchase price.
Unfortunately that is usually how it is. The people making money decisions have no idea about dogs and only want to get all/some of their money back.

DH knew Kaper since he began training. He also had a good knowledge of working dogs in general. Kaper has not been without his challenges but I think it is a good situation. I shutter to think of him somewhere else. DH did pay for him too but not sure how much.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:08 PM

I'm guessing the department that placed the ad hasn't been sued "yet." I would say it's not far down the road, just based on the info noted above that was in the ad.

And as far as reasons for releasing a police dog from training go.....I wouldn't necessarily count on what you hear either. Although it's possible to have a dog wash out due to issues outside of bitework/protection, it's rare if you have a good trainer (unless the dog is in a "red zone" 24/7, in which case it would always be a danger and shouldn't really go anywhere). And I've yet to see a dog that has the drive necessary to do bitework/protection, and which a good trainer cannot develop into a successful dog in all other areas as well. As far as I've seen, a lack of courage in bitework/protection is the more likely reason that most police dogs will wash out. But it's hard to ask for as much money if you give that as a reason for selling the dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page