K9 Ride-Along - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

K9 Ride-Along

Would it be possible to request a Ride-Along with a K9 unit? I'd really love to hang out with the officers and see what they do.

Here in Tempe, we do have a Ride-Along program, but I don't appear to qualify for it (it seems to mostly be focused on committee members or possible recruits, etc). The only category I could possibly fit in would be "friend"--but I don't know anyone! Any ideas on how to get "in?"

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Mei
Master Member

It would have to be based on the Agency's SOP. When I was patrol for a city, ride-alongs could go with the K9 unit.

Short answer - depends on the Agency.
CactusWren likes this.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:52 PM

Thumbs up

I think you should call Steven Seagal's people. =P

Sorry, I guess that is so 2014. I dunno when his affiliation with Maricopa County ended.
CactusWren likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWren View Post
Would it be possible to request a Ride-Along with a K9 unit? I'd really love to hang out with the officers and see what they do.

Here in Tempe, we do have a Ride-Along program, but I don't appear to qualify for it (it seems to mostly be focused on committee members or possible recruits, etc). The only category I could possibly fit in would be "friend"--but I don't know anyone! Any ideas on how to get "in?"

Thanks!
Make nice with the K9 guys! I used to get thoroughly distracted by them all the time, (because I'm old not dead and hey a guy in uniform with a leash. I can't help myself ) but the ones I've met are pretty friendly! Seems like they like chatting about dogs.
Hellish and CactusWren like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Make nice with the K9 guys! I used to get thoroughly distracted by them all the time, (because I'm old not dead and hey a guy in uniform with a leash. I can't help myself ) but the ones I've met are pretty friendly! Seems like they like chatting about dogs.
The owner of the obedience school I go to tried to make nice with a 4-legged K-9 Officer, while they were both inside a veterinary clinic last week. He doesn't often pet dogs, but he pet the K-9 officer once, without a problem. On the 2nd occasion, the dog attacked him. He appeared at class on Sunday with both arms wrapped up in bandages. Guess he had to have surgery and a blood transfusion.

The instructor mentioned an opinion about the K-9 officer's training and then something about the breeding. Hopefully next Sunday, I'll be able to get some more details. Probably best to not pet the K-9 officer
CactusWren likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:27 PM

Not all K-9 dogs are well trained or good temperament. Some should not be on a public police force.

I used to have 2 small Bichons and would walk them all over our little downtown village. The local k-9 dog would come along in the back of the cruiser and go wild barking and lunging at my little dogs. I wouldn't have wanted to meet
that dog on the street, he was uncontrollable and the police officer looked very embarassed.
Sabis mom and CactusWren like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyNibbler View Post
The owner of the obedience school I go to tried to make nice with a 4-legged K-9 Officer, while they were both inside a veterinary clinic last week. He doesn't often pet dogs, but he pet the K-9 officer once, without a problem. On the 2nd occasion, the dog attacked him. He appeared at class on Sunday with both arms wrapped up in bandages. Guess he had to have surgery and a blood transfusion.

The instructor mentioned an opinion about the K-9 officer's training and then something about the breeding. Hopefully next Sunday, I'll be able to get some more details. Probably best to not pet the K-9 officer
ROFL! Don't pet the pretty men that's assault! I said chat with them, not pet them.

Seriously though, your trainer thought it was a good idea to pet that particular dog? Why?
CactusWren likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
ROFL! Don't pet the pretty men that's assault! I said chat with them, not pet them.

Seriously though, your trainer thought it was a good idea to pet that particular dog? Why?
I'll have to ask him why and get a few more details? One of the other trainers in the class said he was surprised that this particular trainer pet the dog, because he doesn't usually do that. I suspect that there was some degree of familiarity. He lives next to the vet clinic, where it happened, and it was a K-9 officer for the community he lives in. He has provided Police dog training (to other police depts.) in the past. Guess he felt a bit too comfortable in the situation

I'm sure he deeply regrets petting the dog. He said he isn't going to sue, since he has to live in the community. (don't want to be on the poo poo list for your police dept.) He said the police came to the hospital and tried to get him to sign a medical release, which he didn't do. They took photos, but wanted hospital staff to clean the blood off of him first, but staff said they didn't have time to do that. Sounds like the photos were gorier than they wanted.

I'm sure he is well aware that it wasn't a good time to let his guard down. I'm sure it's a mistake he won't make again.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

I am a hobbyist writer and have been researching K-9s. I've found several articles saying that many police officers (even SWAT officers) are afraid of K-9s. It seems that many of the dogs, while perhaps good at some aspects of their work, are not friendly or particularly well-behaved in other ways. It also seems to be the case that high worldwide demand for K-9s has made finding good ones more difficult and expensive.

While I respect and like working dogs, I sure as heck would never pet one unless given permission!

My 10-year old is still scandalized from when she saw some little kid go up and hug a sniffer dog at the airport. On the other hand, I think it was the Denver airport that had a very cool Wolfhound that you were allowed to pet.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:07 PM
Crowned Member

While the owner/trainer should have minded his own business and left the k9 alone, the dog sounds like a liability.

Last edited by Nigel; 04-02-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page