Passive Alert vs Aggressive (Active) Alert In Narcotic K9 Sniffs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Passive Alert vs Aggressive (Active) Alert In Narcotic K9 Sniffs

Hello all,

Just wondering how everyone is training their K9 partners to alert when locating narcotics on a vehicle or in a building. My department uses the aggressive alert, but I see a lot more departments going to the passive alert. Is this because of avoiding damage, handler preferences or another reason? Just curious to hear everyones opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 09:08 PM

Passive primarily to avoid damages. As an MWD handler late 70s early 80
s twice my partner MWD Lucifer aggressively alerted on vehicles causing damage once to a dash board and once scratching down the passengers front door. Both times the government reimbursed the owners although we knew for sure the dash board and the rest of the interior had the smell of MJ on it. The military started going to passive response in the very early 80s and have not changed it until this day. As a civilian trainer I will only train passive response for that very same reason.
Jax08 likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 06:33 PM

I've switched all our dogs to passive alerting and a "lock and hold." Aggressive alerting dogs cause too much damage and too much paper work. I find that passive alerting dogs go to source better and I will never train another aggressive alerting dog again. I find it much more relaxing, enjoyable and have less stress with a passive alerting dog. I've had both, trained both and see no benefits to active or aggressive alerting dogs verse a passive dog.
Jax08 and Sabis mom like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 08:43 PM

What is the difference between passive alerting and aggressive alerting?

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon View Post
Passive primarily to avoid damages. As an MWD handler late 70s early 80
s twice my partner MWD Lucifer aggressively alerted on vehicles causing damage once to a dash board and once scratching down the passengers front door. Both times the government reimbursed the owners although we knew for sure the dash board and the rest of the interior had the smell of MJ on it. The military started going to passive response in the very early 80s and have not changed it until this day. As a civilian trainer I will only train passive response for that very same reason.
You knew it with no proof other than the dog, who can't tell you what they smelled. The crusade against marijuana is wonderful for those sorts of things.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:54 PM

Yes I trusted my dog and my nose as well.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon View Post
Yes I trusted my dog and my nose as well.
So arrest them and/or seize the car?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:42 PM
Knighted Member

Marijuana preferences and/or biases aside, aggressive alerts have no useful benefits over passive. Either way, it's clear the dog found something...And as Slam said, "Aggressive alerting dogs cause too much damage and too much paper work."
JessicaR likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfebergk9 View Post
What is the difference between passive alerting and aggressive alerting?
Since nobody else answered this, check out

Indication / Alert
Orphan Heidi likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Crowned Member

Sabs was trained and used periodically for narcotics detection. I liked her alert and I don't even know how or if I taught it. It seemed like she learned what I wanted her to do and then figured out the alert part on her own. She would poke/point and then look at me and then back at what she indicated. It was super useful when we were on access control because she could move through a line up quickly and quietly with support pulling indicated persons out behind us. Also since she would point at a pocket/purse/bag/hand etc, we did not waste much time looking. With vehicle searches we had no damage concerns and again because the indication was quiet we could get the dog in and out with minimal disruption or attracting attention.

I would guess that police departments would have similar needs and if anyone can tell me HOW to get a passive alert trained I would be appreciative. It sucks having only handled trained dogs and one that did most of the work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page