Do police dogs ever breed? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Do police dogs ever breed?

I have admired some splendid police dogs and I do have a GSD bitch. I wonder if working police dogs are ever used for breeding? To working lines females of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 10:34 PM
Master Member

The short answer is yes. Tom z ps is a famous example. Another was a more recent post looking for insight on her pedigree. Dogs sire is dyson benax, a police dog.
dogbyte likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 10:45 PM
Crowned Member

Most departments own the dogs and do not bother with registration papers or hip/elbow ratings....occassionally an officer owns the dog and will use it for breeding.....papers not being a factor because "it's a police dog" and everyone wants his pups!

I have seen several scenerios - officer owned dogs with all paperwork and credentials used for breeding, dogs with no papers and no clue of pedigree breeding any female the officer can ...and making patrol dogs out of a few of the pups, and dogs owned by a local town who the officer will breed quietly - again, no papers....

Lee
carmspack and Sabis mom like this.

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 11:34 PM
Crowned Member

There are the retired K9s that get sold off as "surplus" property sometimes, especially in the South. I'm sure most of them get bred by whoever gets a hold of them.

The last retired K9 I know of that was pulled out of a high-kill shelter (NOLA) had horrible hips -- he needed $3k of surgery to be able to walk as a senior. I have little doubt that whoever bought him from the department and then dumped him had recouped their "investment" and advertised pups as sired by a K9.

I've heard of rumored litters where an officer apparently bred his department-owned K9 without his department's permission -- personally pocketing the stud fee. I can't say whether those rumors are true, but I'm 100% sure that our local K9 commander would want to know about this if any of his guys did it --he would *not* be a happy camper.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 11:44 PM
Elite Member

Did you just mean American police dogs? My dog is sired by a Slovakian P.D. He has sired quite a few really nice litters.

His sire:
Clif Vicona
cliffson1 likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 11:26 AM
Crowned Member

Not sure if it is still happening, Carmspack may know, but we have an RCMP kennel in this area and they used to sell the pups that didn't make the cut. It created a whole lot of "Police K9" breedings. Still a few people that are cashing in on the whole "parents from working K9 lines".
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I wonder what Slamdunk will say about this.

A police K9 that I admire has his own facebook page. He answers people's comments.
Here is Inga's message to him.
(Now, this is a joke. Inga is never going to have puppies). Besides, hes a Mal.

To Odin Coos County Sheriff's K9
December 28 at 10:56am ·

Dear Odin, I am a girl dog. Could we arrange a meeting? You would like my special perfume.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

If you visit Odin's FB page it says I'm feeling better and such like. Thats because Odin came down with an infection, not that he has defective joints. K-9 deputy Odin is back in business | Local News | theworldlink.com
Odin has made something like 57 arrests in the last 2 years.

Here is a page of police K9s, a lot of beautiful working dogs here. I especially like the one named "Prison"
The K9s | K9s4COPs

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 12-30-2017 at 01:12 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I wonder if breeding a male police K9 puts their mind on other things. Like a stallion, can they go 'mare crazy'?

This is my stallion.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 12-30-2017 at 01:11 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 04:25 PM
Elite Member

My young female was sired by a police K9. The department decided to get rid of their police K9 program, so his breeder got him back. He is not a good house dog, though, so she has to choose carefully who she breeds him to.

Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page