Do police dogs ever breed? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 04:32 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
I wonder if breeding a male police K9 puts their mind on other things. Like a stallion, can they go 'mare crazy'?

This is my stallion.
Stallions and stud dogs can be trained to know the difference between breeding and work. My horse breeder's stallion had a certain halter for breeding and his regular gear for riding. A good rider can handle that. In the past we had an old neighbor who was a cowboy all his life and they worked with stallions. He told me, "they just didn't have time to think of mares". I know that dogs can do both as well. When I bred my Whippet male, I had to keep him leashed because there are squirrels in our yard all the time....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 08:13 PM

My military working dogs could not breed under any circumstance. I bred my civilian police K-9 "Kanto Vom Wolfsgehege" on a few occasions to my bitch at the time and also did a few outside breedings as well. However he was my personal dog leased to the city I worked at.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

My stallion has never been bred. He does live in a pasture with a mini stallion. So he lives in a 'bachelor herd', the natural life of wild stallions that could not win mares by fighting. I always ride alone so do not have to worry about him meeting mares and becoming distracted, which he will do. If he meets a mare and starts getting mare crazy I circle him closely until he pays attention to me and not the mares.

Do police K9s get distracted while tracking if they come across the scent of a female dog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:42 PM
Crowned Member

Though it is uncommon in America, some police K9 dogs are bred, especially if the dog handler has access to registration papers and department policies don’t forbid. In Czech/Slovak Republics and Scandinavian countries this is not uncommon.
Nurse Bishop likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
My stallion has never been bred. He does live in a pasture with a mini stallion. So he lives in a 'bachelor herd', the natural life of wild stallions that could not win mares by fighting. I always ride alone so do not have to worry about him meeting mares and becoming distracted, which he will do. If he meets a mare and starts getting mare crazy I circle him closely until he pays attention to me and not the mares.

Do police K9s get distracted while tracking if they come across the scent of a female dog?
First, Stallions rarely have the level of training that a certified LE dog has to the task. Also, with the scent of female dog, a tracking dog has what we call in the training world,” competing motivations” . Part of tracker training is the introduction of distractions and teaching the dog to ignore/disregard them in staying on the track to its completion. So though they have competing motivations, the training of the dog should enable most LE dogs to continue with task. Now an untrained dog if tracking, and runs across the same scent, the possibilities of them abandoning the original track for the” sexier” track is quite possible!
ksotto333 likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 01:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Though it is uncommon in America, some police K9 dogs are bred, especially if the dog handler has access to registration papers and department policies don’t forbid. In Czech/Slovak Republics and Scandinavian countries this is not uncommon.
I was under the impression from going through Buds pedigree that working was acceptable in place of titles for the SV? Is that correct?
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

So Cliffson, you have to really proof the LE tracking dog, right?

Stallions also have to have a high level of training when you ride them because they can get you hurt of killed. Although any horse can do the same. My veterinarian friend always rode Arabian stallions. They were not even allowed to LOOK at mares due to the possible escalation of drives. Its like dogs chasing cats or crittering. You want to squelch the behavior before the chase begins, when they are just looking at the cat.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I really like the looks of K9 Officer Dak, also of the Coos County Sheriffs Dept. What a handsome fellow. A crook would not want to meet his business end. Many give up immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page