Police K9s at home - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Police K9s at home

Do police dogs go home with their officers when off duty? If so, how do they live? Do they live in a kennel most of the time? Do they live with the family in the house? Do they lie on the couch? (probably not)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 03:51 PM
Master Member

I know two local police k9s. Both go home with the officer. One lives outdoors in a kennel and the other ones lives inside just like a normal pet. One is a apprehension k9 and the other is a explosives detection k9
Slamdunc likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 04:10 PM

We had our local K9 cop come in and do a demonstration for our 4H club , this is what his handler said when he was asked that question.
Andy, a mal, lives in the house with his handler, his wife and his young son. He is treated like a family pet and yes he sometimes sleeps on the couch. If Jake is not home and Andy is not with him, he has an outdoor kennel with a roof, since he once jumped their 6 foot privacy fence!

Oh, he is an apprehension and narcotic detection dog.
Slamdunc and RZZNSTR like this.

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 05:34 PM

The dogs do go home with their handlers at the end of their shift. The dogs live at home with their handlers. The living arrangements are unique to the handler, dog and family situation. I raised my dog Boomer from a 7 week old pup and he always lived in the house. He went out to his kennel when we had company. My current K9 Partner, Boru is a different dog altogether. He lives at my house, has a kennel and a yard to run in. He is not the dog you bring to the family picnic and has no interaction alone with my wife. He is either loose in the yard, or in a kennel if I am not home. If I was single and only had one dog, Boru could come int the house with me. He is not the dog I would have loose in the house with family members or guests. He is a working dog, not a pet.

It really depends on the dog and the situation. Police K-9's should be working dogs, first and foremost. Some can relax and home and be good family dogs, some can't. Doesn't make Boru a bad dog, he is an excellent Patrol / Narcotics dog. That is why I have him and what is needed from him.
ksotto333, Chip18, car2ner and 4 others like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you Officer Slamdunk you explain it so well.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Crowned Member

it depends on the department as well. some prefer that the dogs stay in kennels. Others allow them to go home with their human partners. Some of those are required to follow specific rules for kenneling the dog when off-duty while others are allowed to have the dog live as a part of the family.
Chip18 likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:07 PM

I don't know of any PD's in the US that keep K9's in Department Kennels. The handlers have a kennel at home for the safety and well being of the dog when it is not working.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Slamdunk, you mentioned Boru has no interaction with your wife. Why is this? Is it because a working dog should have only one trainer?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Slamdunk, you mentioned Boru has no interaction with your wife. Why is this? Is it because a working dog should have only one trainer?
Not necessarily. Boru is a very strong, fast, reactive and serious dog. He not only has to trust his handler, it is imperative that he also respects his handler. Not the dog that you allow to be loose with others, except when working. Boru will bite with little provocation, and if you get nervous or excited things can escalate very quickly. He and I get along very well, he trusts and respects me, but I handle him very carefully. My other sport and working dogs all were fine around my wife, living in the house never effected their drive or working ability. My sport or working commands are in German or Dutch, only I use those commands. My wife can give the dogs commands in English only. She will not reinforce the commands like I do The dogs may be slow to respond to her English commands but are always very responsive to my German or Dutch commands.

Boru is truly an outstanding Patrol dog, but he would not make a good pet or a dog for an inexperienced handler or family situation. He's found his niche and spot with me, I appreciate his good qualities, drive and aggression. I have also accepted his quirks, reactivity and occasional displaced aggression. He has come a really long way and has become an excellent dog overall, for me.
RZZNSTR and Nurse Bishop like this.

Jim
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 05:38 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
I don't know of any PD's in the US that keep K9's in Department Kennels. The handlers have a kennel at home for the safety and well being of the dog when it is not working.
Our local SO kept the single K9 in a department kennel. They regularly switched policy between "take the dog home" "leave the dog here when off-duty" They no longer have a k9 officer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page