Police K9s at home - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 11:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon View Post
There are 2 large cities here in Alabama that keep their dogs kenneled. A third the city of Dothan with 10 teams is building a facility as I write this as well. The city claims it will save them money not having to pay the handlers compensation to care for them.
not sure what kind of savings they'd expect. Still need to be fed, vetted and now the additional cost of operating/maintaining a kennel.
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 07:16 AM
Crowned Member

With our county Sheriffs dept, there are 5 patrol dogs and 4 bloodhounds. The patrol dogs go home, three of four bloodhounds are kenneled. So I guess everybody is right
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:02 AM
Crowned Member

Mine came home with me and was with me after his retirement until the day he died. He was very stealthy and quiet in the house unless something triggered his aggression. After his retirement I had him for an for a couple more years. He remained quiet but highly alert. While he was still with us I never had any worries about the wife or the house.

When I worked for the Federal government our dogs were in a contract kennel during their working years. After their retirement/end of service the handler could adopt them and they would live out their remaining years in a home.
dogbyte, Chip18, Sabis mom and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
not sure what kind of savings they'd expect. Still need to be fed, vetted and now the additional cost of operating/maintaining a kennel.
One person tending 10 dogs is going to be more cost effective then compensating 10 people for caring for 1 dog each, plus boarding when handlers are off duty/vacations, etc.
And I am sure that there are insurance considerations.
Nigel likes this.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Crowned Member

also, some kennels that are on department policy have a lot of the basic kennel work done by 409s (jail trustees) so free labor.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I love this vid of GSD police dog in training.

Oh. I guess he's a Mal.

Look at the look on his face at the end.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 12-04-2017 at 03:47 PM.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 04:21 PM

This thread just reminded me back when I was in high school and our neighbor just got his k9. Beautiful GSD, but thats the only positive thing I can say. We were asked not to socialize with the dog, they had two sons I went to school with and we played football after school together, so we respected his request. But it became very annoying that 99% of the time when they were off duty the k9 was locked in his cage outside, rain or snow, outside...The cage was 8ft high, and 6ft x 6ft with no roof. The k9 would escape, jumping on the tiny house over the fence, and would rush down to our house to play with our dogs, we had a Jack Russell, and a Great Pyrenees and they would play and play, if they were aloud to... We wouldn't call the handler, unless my parents found out he was out, I wasnt calling because I wasn't aloud to socialize with him and you could tell the poor thing just wanted to have a little fun.

The Officer was "Retired" and I believe the k9 actually got a good handler after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page