Police K9s at home - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 08:04 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
I don't know of any PD's in the US that keep K9's in Department Kennels. The handlers have a kennel at home for the safety and well being of the dog when it is not working.
Thanks, Jim! I have repeatedly heard folks in other areas of the breed promote the false narrative that LE k9s cannot live at home with the insinuation that they are too dangerous or active for home life. And while in my experiences there are SOME K9s that would not do well in home environment, I have found the majority are able to make the transition quite well. Most LE k9s are not crazed biting machines, or never settle down dogs that can’t live reliably in house with handler. ....but many believe this.😕
Slamdunc and carmspack like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 09:45 AM
Elite Member

I went on a tour of our city's Animal Control Facility about 15 years ago now - and they showed us the kennels in the back-right next to the quarantine kennels, where the police K9s "relax and chill". At the time I was thinking, what a horrible place to put working dogs- in a place full of stressed out dogs, barking, and metal pens!

They have changed their policy since, but that bothered me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:19 AM
Crowned Member

I know there is a K-9 unit kennel that houses dogs but I think it’s mostly for when officers have to go to court and things like that. When my daughters school had an animal club they would have Police officers visit with their dogs and talk about the different jobs the dogs had. They would give out baseball type cards out with the dogs name what country the dog came from and the job the dog did and their stats! The officers would talk about the dogs work day and when the work day was done - they were either separated and kenneled at home or lived with the family like slamdunc had mentionened. She got to see a lot of different dogs and hear about the different personalities.
Slamdunc likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
Our local SO kept the single K9 in a department kennel. They regularly switched policy between "take the dog home" "leave the dog here when off-duty" They no longer have a k9 officer.
That is a shame that they no longer have a K-9 program. We have a policy in place for the housing and kenneling of our K-9's as well. The dogs are taken home each day. Every handler has a covered Kennel and concrete pad built for his dog. In addition the handler must have a secured fenced yard. The handler can have the dog in his / her home and the dog can sleep indoors or in the kennel. Most of the dogs in our unit live with the family and are social dogs, especially with family members.

In our Policy and SOP's the dog can not be left unattended in a Kennel for more than 12 hours. If the handler goes on vacation or out of town the dog is Kenneled at our animal control facility. We have a separate area to Kennel the K-9's. That would be the only time the dogs are Kenneled at a facility. Care of the animals is a huge responsibility. Our Sgt does random home inspections to ensure the dogs are housed properly and kenneled at home when the handler is in court or not home on days off.
Sabis mom likes this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Banned

Yess .... what people believe???? I "believe" that some K9 handlers and there dogs ... aren't that good??? Don't make you dogs "problems" your neighbors problem! A couple cases in point.:

Moderator deleted due to off topic links. I would strongly suggest staying on topic and not turning this into a LE or K9 bashing thread.

And in the one case, I'd say "if you can't keep your "Dog" in his own yard ... then maybe they ought not to have them?" But maybe my standards for acceptable behaviour are to high???

Not saying all off duty K9's are wild and out of control, but clearly "some are," just saying.

Last edited by Slamdunc; 12-01-2017 at 12:20 PM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Crowned Member

Chip those stories are not the norm. Sad the dog was mishandled and sad this happened. I would imagine if it was the norm many areas would not have a K-9 unit which would be a shame. I know the K-9 units sure improve the way of life in nyc. There were many at the thanksgiving day parade and some vapor sniffing dogs which is something I have not heard keeping everyone safe.
Slamdunc likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 12-01-2017 at 11:57 AM.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
I went on a tour of our city's Animal Control Facility about 15 years ago now - and they showed us the kennels in the back-right next to the quarantine kennels, where the police K9s "relax and chill". At the time I was thinking, what a horrible place to put working dogs- in a place full of stressed out dogs, barking, and metal pens!

They have changed their policy since, but that bothered me.
Our city recently built a new animal Control facility, they spent about $8 million on this facility. It is a very nice building. There is a separate room in the facility that has kennels reserved for our K-9's. Honestly, none of our handlers like kenneling their dogs there when they go on vacation for the reasons you mentioned. The room for our dogs only houses them and dogs seized for court cases. Yet, there is still a loud cacophony of dogs barking, and occasionally some chickens or a goat. That is why Boru travels with me, he has been to Florida at least a dozen times, Ga, NJ, etc. in the past two years. He travels well and is an easy dog to be around on trips.
Muskeg likes this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 12:18 PM

@Chip18, I really don't think your "standards for acceptable behavior are all that high." I really don't think you have the experience or knowledge to judge what a tough dog is or even a hard to handle dog, or even what is involved in working and handling a Patrol dog.

I haven't looked at your links or read them. Yes, things happen and not every K-9 handler is a superb handler. I'm going to warn you to not turn this thread in a Police bashing or K-9 bashing thread. The risks that K-9 handlers and their dogs take every day to keep their communities safe is far greater than you walking your dog down the street avoiding stray dogs.

This thread will not be turned in a LE bashing or K-9 bashing thread. Consider this the only warning on this thread!

Jim

Last edited by Slamdunc; 12-01-2017 at 12:22 PM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 12:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
I don't know of any PD's in the US that keep K9's in Department Kennels. The handlers have a kennel at home for the safety and well being of the dog when it is not working.
I cannot say for certain, but to the best of my knowledge the dogs here in Calgary are kept at the K-9 facility. It does not seem ideal but the facility is beautiful and the dogs I have had contact with are well cared for and happy.
We had a run of bad luck here several years back but the unit has recovered and is doing well.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 09:28 PM

There are 2 large cities here in Alabama that keep their dogs kenneled. A third the city of Dothan with 10 teams is building a facility as I write this as well. The city claims it will save them money not having to pay the handlers compensation to care for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page