Narcotics Detection- input and advice!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Narcotics Detection- input and advice!!

Hey guys- some big things are happening for us. I was just asked to start shadowing our head trainer at the facility Ellie trains with, with the hopes that I will start working as a trainer there within the next year or so! This trainer also pulled us aside after class the other night to tell me that he thought Ellie had the potential and the drive to be really successful in Narcotics Detection. He has the education to teach the scent detection, but he's open to trying methods other than those that he learned in school. This is very new territory for me, and we are wanting to be open-minded about the way that we go about things.

Does anyone here have any experience at all in this type of training? What materials do you use during training? How long did it take you to complete your training? Did you receive any type of certification? What method did you use during training?

The goal is that, eventually, our dogs (and us) will be available to work when law enforcement/private agencies are in need of a detection team.

I'm really just looking for any info at all here- input, experiences, advice, anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 12:13 PM
Crowned Member

@Slamdunc
Slamdunc and mycobraracr like this.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 01:34 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Very nice! Congratulations! My organization has been asked to do that as well and yesterday we were asked if we would start training SAR dogs. We've had to say we can't at this point in time. We do have a SAR team from another state that is now under us and was supposed to be here this week to work together, but needless to say, they are now in Houston. Would love if you keep us updated on what you're doing as if we ever do it, it would be new to us and we've a lot to learn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 07:10 PM

I'm not in the U.S. but I am sure the rules are the same for Drug Detection as they are for us in Canada, No Law Enforcement Agency will use any Detection Dog in a search that is not a Certified Law Enforcement Agencies dog.

Other LEO Agencies can and sometimes call other Agencies Detection Dogs in but never dogs owned by the public.

It would be challenged in Court.

Private Agencies is another story, Slam can confirm or explain better as he is a U.S. LEO.

Nothing wrong with teaching your Dog Sport Detection, it is becoming quite popular.

Kim
Slamdunc and carmspack like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 07:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates Lair View Post
I'm not in the U.S. but I am sure the rules are the same for Drug Detection as they are for us in Canada, No Law Enforcement Agency will use any Detection Dog in a search that is not a Certified Law Enforcement Agencies dog.

Other LEO Agencies can and sometimes call other Agencies Detection Dogs in but never dogs owned by the public.

It would be challenged in Court.

Private Agencies is another story, Slam can confirm or explain better as he is a U.S. LEO.

Nothing wrong with teaching your Dog Sport Detection, it is becoming quite popular.

Kim
That , Kim, is the situation in Canada .
Even the SAR dogs are rarely if ever called out - only LE trained and certified teams .

Now the RCMP did have a team which were "privately owned" dogs which were trained by one of their own expert Dog Masters . The team , handle and dog , were put through gruelling tests - even more difficult to eliminate those not absolutely able and dedicated.

I had several om my dogs on such teams .
Sue Barwig came up to have a look .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
That , Kim, is the situation in Canada .
Even the SAR dogs are rarely if ever called out - only LE trained and certified teams .

Now the RCMP did have a team which were "privately owned" dogs which were trained by one of their own expert Dog Masters . The team , handle and dog , were put through gruelling tests - even more difficult to eliminate those not absolutely able and dedicated.

I had several om my dogs on such teams .
Sue Barwig came up to have a look .
Maybe in Ontario that's how things work, in BC SAR is only deployed by the Police or RCMP when needed because they don't train their dogs for SAR work. And all SAR Dogs have to to belong to a Recognized Group and be Certified by the RCMP.

Private Agencies in B.C. that train dogs for Security Patrol, Drug or Bomb Detection have to Certify at the Justice Institute of B.C. (Police Academy) before they can legally work, and they will still never work for any Law Enforcement Agency in an official capacity.

I'm a Former Provincial Constable and K9 Detection Handler so I know how things work in Western Canada.

The Politics and lack of co-operation make it very difficult for any LE Agencies in Canada to work together let alone get along for the common good. Allow a Civilian Team to work on a Real Criminal Case? Never.

But, that's just my experience.

Kim
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates Lair View Post
Maybe in Ontario that's how things work, in BC SAR is only deployed by the Police or RCMP when needed because they don't train their dogs for SAR work. And all SAR Dogs have to to belong to a Recognized Group and be Certified by the RCMP.

Private Agencies in B.C. that train dogs for Security Patrol, Drug or Bomb Detection have to Certify at the Justice Institute of B.C. (Police Academy) before they can legally work, and they will still never work for any Law Enforcement Agency in an official capacity.

I'm a Former Provincial Constable and K9 Detection Handler so I know how things work in Western Canada.

The Politics and lack of co-operation make it very difficult for any LE Agencies in Canada to work together let alone get along for the common good. Allow a Civilian Team to work on a Real Criminal Case? Never.

But, that's just my experience.

Kim
This isn't a debate about whether or not the dog will be used....it's very possible that only private agencies would be in need of a service like that. I was just looking for training information/experience.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Very nice! Congratulations! My organization has been asked to do that as well and yesterday we were asked if we would start training SAR dogs. We've had to say we can't at this point in time. We do have a SAR team from another state that is now under us and was supposed to be here this week to work together, but needless to say, they are now in Houston. Would love if you keep us updated on what you're doing as if we ever do it, it would be new to us and we've a lot to learn!
Thank you!! I will definitely post updates. It's new territory for me, but our trainer is experienced and excited for something new.
Deb likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 11:49 PM

"The goal is that, eventually, our dogs (and us) will be available to work when law enforcement/private agencies are in need of a detection team.

I'm really just looking for any info at all here- input, experiences, advice, anything! "

My apologies for mis-understanding your question, I was not trying to start a debate. Only offering input from an experienced point of view.

Kim
kenzandel likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:02 AM

@kenzandel,

Does anyone here have any experience at all in this type of training? What materials do you use during training? How long did it take you to complete your training? Did you receive any type of certification? What method did you use during training?

I do narcotics training and I am running a narcotics detection school right now. We use the actual narcotics, Marijuana, Heroin, Meth, Ecstasy and Cocaine. It takes about 3 months to train a green dog and handler. we certify under the VPWDA, Virginia Police Work Dog Association. It is the same as a NAPWDA certification.

We use rolled up towels and scent them with the target odor. The towels are 16x27" and rolled into a tug. We toss the towels and get the dogs to chase and find them. Then we hide the towel and make the dog use it's nose to find it. Then we separate the towel form the odor and begin to hide actual training aids. The training is all based on praise and reward and getting the dog into high drive. Then we add in a final response which is a passive indication. That is a very general description.

Good luck with your training, detection work is fun.
Deb, Pirates Lair, RZZNSTR and 1 others like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page