Narcotics detection training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Narcotics detection training?

Anyone here in LE know of a good narcotics detection training course in NorCal? I tried contacting Witmer-Tyson, no answer.
There is an occasional and lucrative need in the private sector in which I now work. SAR is going really well but it'd be great to get paid for that nose too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 05:58 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Is your SAR team ok with you cross training a dog in another discipline? Many are not. Obviously cadaver will be out of the question if you do narcotics.
carmspack likes this.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Elite Member

There is a very sticky situation that can occur when a dog is cross trained outside of human odor.. Go to court on something and it might bite ya in the fanny. That is if you are using the same dog. Just do your research and make sure all 'i' s are dotted and 't' s crossed..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
Is your SAR team ok with you cross training a dog in another discipline? Many are not. Obviously cadaver will be out of the question if you do narcotics.
Yes they are. Not interested in cadaver, seen and found enough dead bodies in this life.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 12:30 PM

There are some companies that will train an individual to do narcotics searches. I can't think of the name off the top of my head. I suppose you could buy pseudo and start training on that. I have a handler that I have trained his dog to hit all the odors, it was just for fun for him. The training is not hard. The issue becomes when you are called out. What do you do when your dog alerts? What if your dog locates Meth, Heroin, cocaine or Ecstasy? What are you going to do? How is that handled by the person that hired you?

We generally will not do searches for private individuals or businesses. The reason being is that some unscrupulous folks might have your there to see how well their packaging is and if your dog alerts to it. You might inadvertently be helping a dope dealer.
carmspack likes this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
There are some companies that will train an individual to do narcotics searches. I can't think of the name off the top of my head. I suppose you could buy pseudo and start training on that. I have a handler that I have trained his dog to hit all the odors, it was just for fun for him. The training is not hard. The issue becomes when you are called out. What do you do when your dog alerts? What if your dog locates Meth, Heroin, cocaine or Ecstasy? What are you going to do? How is that handled by the person that hired you?

We generally will not do searches for private individuals or businesses. The reason being is that some unscrupulous folks might have your there to see how well their packaging is and if your dog alerts to it. You might inadvertently be helping a dope dealer.
Doubt it.
Of course you don't do searches for individuals or corporations. I didn't either when I did what you do.
I see this is not the correct forum to ask this question.

Last edited by Slamdunc; 07-11-2017 at 04:32 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 04:33 PM

Why don't you get pseudo and start training your own dog?
ausdland likes this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Jim asked a very important question.
You are on a search.
Your dog indicates on drugs.
What happens? Play out the scenarios and think it through.

Your dog is also a drug dog. Could that make you and your dog and other teammates a target? I knew one team in the mountains that changed their uniforms because they got shot at for looking like the police.

I would not personally touch it with a 10 foot pole. Why not just get a second dog for that discipline? Easier to maintain two dogs in two disciplines than one dog in two.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Elite Member

Hence the problem in court, potentially.. Dog is trained on human odor (specific or not) and narcotics.. A good attorney will drill you and your training. Was the dog alerting on the human or the drugs? Etc.. Separate dogs resolves any potential conflicts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
Hence the problem in court, potentially.. Dog is trained on human odor (specific or not) and narcotics.. A good attorney will drill you and your training. Was the dog alerting on the human or the drugs? Etc.. Separate dogs resolves any potential conflicts.
I could certainly see other issues in court. I would think the alert, i.e. behavioral changes and the trained response would be very different.

I know with Boomer alerts to apartment doors for dope and people were vastly different. I could tell in a hotel / motel hallway doing interdiction of there was a dog in the room, people or dope. Or dope and people, the response was different, even if it was subtle. Boomer was trained to check doors for people as a patrol dog and to check doors / rooms for dope. I never had an issue distinguishing the difference, even when both were present.

I love getting questioned by defense attorneys that are suddenly K-9 experts for one case. If you remain calm, listen to the question, then ask them to repeat and explain the question and exactly what they mean, you quickly see them become unsettled. One of the classics is "how many times has your dog false alerted?" I ask them to explain what they mean by a "false alert?" I respond "never" on the street. Then I explain the certification process in detail, then I explain our training in detail, then the way a dog actually indicates and behaves in the odor of narcotics. Then I explain "unsubstantiated alerts" and the Supreme Courts view on unsubstantiated alerts and the three situations where it can occur. Generally, the next thing the defense atty says is "No further questions."

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page