Narcotics detection training? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 12:14 AM
Elite Member

As police officer you get that extra training and have the back up that most independent contractors don't have. Having a SAR dog that also does narcotics is asking for trouble, from those in the industry I've talked to. They always advocate a separate dog for dope and human. Not that it can't be done, just saves on alot of potential problems.. Even LE in our area likes to have the distinction.

As to the courtroom, love that have put attorneys playing 'K9 cop' experts to the test! Excellent! Again, and unfortunately, for SAR personnel (outside of HRD) in general aren't under oath often and most people don't feel comfortable when challenged in the hot seat. That being said, if ya know your stuff and the law backing you then listening and responding usually gets the attorneys flustered. I've heard hilarious stories where defense attorneys ate crow big time..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
Jim asked a very important question.
You are on a search.
Your dog indicates on drugs.
What happens? Play out the scenarios and think it through.

Your dog is also a drug dog. Could that make you and your dog and other teammates a target? I knew one team in the mountains that changed their uniforms because they got shot at for looking like the police.

I would not personally touch it with a 10 foot pole. Why not just get a second dog for that discipline? Easier to maintain two dogs in two disciplines than one dog in two.
I did not think about the dog indicating on drugs during a search for a missing person, that would be a problem albeit unlikely and I'm unconcerned about being a target. The contexts are very different, my dog understands contexts, heeling at an ipo field v. walking in town at my side, bite work in a harness v. tracking or trailing in a harness. The equipment used would be different. I hear your concern. My sar sponsor isn't concerned, she's interested, you'd know her if you were in the CA sar community.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
There is a very sticky situation that can occur when a dog is cross trained outside of human odor.. Go to court on something and it might bite ya in the fanny. That is if you are using the same dog. Just do your research and make sure all 'i' s are dotted and 't' s crossed..
Go to court for what, finding narcotics as a private person for a private person, corporation? Unlikely unless it's a large amount. Yet one of the reasons I asked about a certified training course. This sure went sideways, thanks folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 12:30 AM
Elite Member

Going to court if used by LE and a good lawyer on the defense finds out you use a dual purpose dog is the first that comes to mind, but there are other scenarios. This isn't to say it can't be done, but I would think you would want to know the potential pitfalls and complications before embarking on any new endeavor. Maybe not... Either way, the information is offered as something to consider. Good luck. Private contractors can make good money
ausdland likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 05:44 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Melgar v Greene. Bite trained dog locating and biting a missing person who would have died had not the dog found him. Admittedly a police K9. . Miscalculations and big payout. Reason why some departments won't allow any bite trained dog to search for any missing person or muzzle their dogs when they do.

Lawsuits. Rare but they do happen when a dog fails to locate a person in their area. There was a big case in NC a number of years ago where a child died because the dog did not find them. Glad I was not a part of it. I would beef up my training logs to clearly and repeatedly show the presence of drugs in the search area does not distract the dog.

I assume there may also be lawsuits if your dog finds drugs at a company and someone is fired as a result. Here in the southeast employers can fire folks without cause but in CA you may face different circumstances.

Things are just so much cleaner with single purpose dogs.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 07-12-2017 at 05:58 AM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I'll consider this. It's an infrequent request and may not be worth it.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 11:21 PM

Try Tarheel K-9
ausdland likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page