Police dog's living arrangements - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Police dog's living arrangements

I saw this news article about K-9 Odin. Deputy on working with K9: 'It's the best job at the sheriff's office' | KCBY Everybody is very proud of Odin. He has rounded up quite a few criminals.

I wonder about Odin living with the handler's family when off duty, but 'limited' to keep his drive up. What is meant by limited? Is this standard practice? Where do working K-9s usually live?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Knighted Member

Our PDs dogs live with their handlers and many spend time in the house. However, they all also have a kennel in the backyard where they spend down time. Part to just relax away from the handler and quite a bit to stay acclimatized to the weather they work in. A dog that lives in climate controlled environments (house and car) all winter isn't going to last long tracking in -40o weather.
carmspack likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Crowned Member

Good question and the point about being used to weather makes sense . Never thought about it.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Crowned Member

I would guess it would be mostly or at least partly to be sure the dog gets enough rest and has plenty of energy to work. I even kennel my dog to be sure he is resting and to be sure he is sufficiently rested before a big event, and any work day might be a big event for a k9.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

This is what the sheriff said in the article that I am wondering about. Sure he wants him to rest but he says-
" "Some people don't understand that, but for him, work day is a stressful day mentally and physically," says Slater, who also houses, bathes and feeds him, providing 24/7 care for his furry partner.
But Odin's time at home doesn't mean time to play fetch.
"It's our family, so he has some interaction with them, but it's limited,” Slater says. “But that's the important thing - to keep their drive where it needs to be, to come out and do the job that they do."

They don't want to reduce his drive. He limits Odin's interaction with his family. Does hanging out on the couch reduce a dog's drive? I cant ask Officer Slater so I am asking police dog trainers here.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 05-09-2017 at 04:40 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Knighted Member

In a dog that is driven to work and always pay attention to his handler: it might. The point is to let the dog rest both physically and mentally. He may be laying on the couch but at the same time is he tracking what his family is doing and staying ready to jump in and participate? That won't be as restful as being completely off duty.

Does the family include squealy little kids that are always running around and may trigger the dog's drives? You don't want to have to keep correcting the dog for following those drives it needs to work in inappropriate situations. That can kill drive, too.
carmspack likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:39 PM

I see that a k9 officer in my neighborhood put a nice kennel in his backyard. Actually it might have been back there all along but the dog wasn't in it during the day when I walk by. I only noticed it when the K9 barked at my dog getting walked past his yard. It makes sense that the dog needs time to just chill out and be a dog.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I sent Canine Officer Slater an email through the Coos Bay Sheriff's office asking this question directly. I will fill you in when I get an answer. Thanks
angelas and melissajancie like this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:27 PM
Crowned Member

A working dogs handler needs to remain the most important person in their lives. Everyone's family situation is different but rarely is a dog just hanging out on the couch and not receiving attention, affection, treats, playtime and if needed, management by others in the household and that's not ok. "Limited" can mean anything.

I train guide dogs and although the work and temperament vary greatly, even their handlers are instructed to limit downtime with other members in the house... this can be for the dogs benefit (crate or tie down in a quiet room) or for the benefit of the team / working relationship / performance. Dogs in general need consistency and boundaries.

If hanging out at home playing with the kids becomes more exciting or stimulating to the guide than working for and with the handler, that wouldn't be good.
Slamdunc, Findlay and Mudypoz like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 05-09-2017 at 07:29 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Crowned Member

Coos Bay Oregon? Might be one of my dogs.

The contact is limited because there can be no confusion . If an "order" is given the dog must comply.
If significant other or the kids say sit and the dog ignores and keeps on walking - the dog learns disobedience .
No nagging, clear expectations with follow through, one person in charge .
Play and reward come from the handler.
They are not "pets" . They are social and able to transition to "pet" quite nicely after retirement .
I had one at Metro Toronto, black dog Keno --- when he retired at 11 he was the joy of his handler and family which included young children .
Old Keno missed his job so he went along to the training fields and spent the day in the staff sgts. office , greeted by all the k9 handlers and once in a while in a training session was able to ride in the cruiser with the sirens going .

Heaven. He thought he was living the life . Still needed - .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page