Police dog's living arrangements - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
I saw this news article about K-9 Odin. Deputy on working with K9: 'It's the best job at the sheriff's office' | KCBY Everybody is very proud of Odin. He has rounded up quite a few criminals.

I wonder about Odin living with the handler's family when off duty, but 'limited' to keep his drive up. What is meant by limited? Is this standard practice? Where do working K-9s usually live?
K-9's and all dogs should have a safe, secure place to go. Especially, Police K-9's as there is a tremendous amount of liability involved in handling one. A kennel is a necessity for a working dog, a safe place to secure the dog and a place where the dog can get some relaxing down time.

It seems all of my dogs have always been high drive and have lived in my house as pets. It depends on the dog and handler. Some dogs are fine living in the house and still have high drive. Other dogs may have their drive satiated by spending too much time with their handler and family. Boomer is fine in the house and grew up in my house. He has always had enough drive for 4 GSD's and 2 Malinois. Part of that is how I raised him and how I worked him.

I had a dog in my unit that was so spoiled by his handler at home that the dog never really worked up to it's potential. When a dog is praised, loved on and gushed on why work when the rewards are higher on the couch for nothing. This dog slept in the handler's bed and was totally spoiled. What could have been a decent Police dog just never made it. Then the handler wonders why the dog doesn't find dope or people and is marginal at best as a working dog?

It is really dependent on the handler, the home environment and the dog. Some dogs need to be kept in a kennel and have limited interaction with the family and civilians. A police dog is not "Lassie" and Lassie would be a terrible Police dog. I will say that if a dog needs to be kenneled to maintain drive or to build drive then there is an issue in the management of the dog. Boru is kenneled when he is not with me, not for drive building but because he doesn't play well with others.
angelas and carmspack like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:20 PM

I have kept all my civilian police dogs inside when at home. I do not have any children so it posed no problem. The only other people they listened to was the wife and the handler who could handle him in the event of an emergency on the job.

People who came to the house to visit knew they were working dogs and on more than one occasion I had to remind them they were working dogs and not pets. I wanted my dogs neutral to the visitors not over friendly.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 11:38 AM

My husband is on the Canine Unit here in Ontario ( Canada ). His Canine Partner is part of our family. He knows when it's time to work and play. We have 2 other GSDs and cats. We do not kennel/crate and never have. We have family functions that we take all of them to. Family and friends have no problems with him. My daughter is also on the Canine Unit. She has daughters that are 3 and 4.
Daisy&Lucky's Mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you for the explainations. I have not yet heard from the Coos County Sheriff Dept. Odin has been busy and collected two more criminals.http://kpic.com/news/local/sheriff-k...ts-for-3-miles
I notice that criminals who kick or punch Odin go to the hospital first http://theworldlink.com/news/local/c...927f221cb.html

http://kpic.com/news/local/police-po...king-police-k9

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 05-22-2017 at 02:33 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanineGSDs View Post
My husband is on the Canine Unit here in Ontario ( Canada ). His Canine Partner is part of our family. He knows when it's time to work and play. We have 2 other GSDs and cats. We do not kennel/crate and never have. We have family functions that we take all of them to. Family and friends have no problems with him. My daughter is also on the Canine Unit. She has daughters that are 3 and 4.
Thanks for your post, it helps to dispel the narrative that a dog that is active K9 should not be family dog. K9 dogs vary just like people, some are excellent family dogs, and some are better suited for kennel life.
angelas likes this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Thanks for your post, it helps to dispel the narrative that a dog that is active K9 should not be family dog. K9 dogs vary just like people, some are excellent family dogs, and some are better suited for kennel life.
You are very welcome. Our dogs before going through training are not allowed to be aggressive. If they show any aggression they fail and are out.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanineGSDs View Post

which department is that ?

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in