How to get K9 training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

How to get K9 training?

So, I'd like to know how I can get K9 training or have my working line dog trained for police work. Do you have to be a police yourself or?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 02:32 AM
Knighted Member

Yes. You have to be a police officer yourself and be selected for the K9 unit. The dog will also be selected for you and likely have been trained already.
dogfaeries likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

So you say, the dog is selected for you and already trained, so where does this training happen? Is it possible to put your dog into this program and it be given to a real officer? Or do they just straight up buy the puppy of a good breeder meant for K9?

Does Schutzhund IPO have anything to do with it? I know they do some training obviously for attacking and defending so that's certainly helpful for K9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 03:15 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnal View Post
So you say, the dog is selected for you and already trained, so where does this training happen? Is it possible to put your dog into this program and it be given to a real officer? Or do they just straight up buy the puppy of a good breeder meant for K9?

Does Schutzhund IPO have anything to do with it? I know they do some training obviously for attacking and defending so that's certainly helpful for K9.
For the police force around me training usually happens at the RCMP breeding and training facility in Alberta. Once the dog is street ready it is sent where it is needed (which an be anywhere in Canada). Some of the smaller forces buy older green dogs and train them themselves.

Is it possible? Highly unlikely. And would your really want to sell your dog to a police department even if it could qualify? PDs don't have lots of money to waste on buying dogs that aren't going to be useful for their department so they are very selective about where they buy dogs from. Pet bred dogs from generations of dogs that haven't done anything except breed aren't going to rate any attention.
carmspack likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 04:01 AM

You have to be a peace officer and be selected for the K9 program. The dogs are chosen for the officer, some dogs are bought and some are donated. It depends on the task the dog is needed for. K9 training has nothing to do with the sport of schutzhund.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:24 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Even with specifically bred dogs, most will end up being washed out of k9 programs, the requirements are quite stringent. I was reading about a police k9 trainer who tests dogs given/volunteered from the general public as potential K9 candidates, maybe 1 out of 100 actually have what it takes to be selected for training. That is a lot of dog testing, so most don't bother - like others said, they go to breeders who specifically breed for k9 dogs (and even then, not all dogs make the cut), or they have their own breeding program, like the RCMP.

If you are interested in learning about training and developing a dog for bite-work, IPO is a good place to start.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Banned

You can get your dog trained for protection.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:13 AM
Crowned Member

It is my impression, and I may well be wrong so people who know more about this please jump in.

But it is my impression that there are a fair amount of trainers out there who will "train your dog for protection", just like all other dog trainers there is no regulation and anybody can hang out a shingle. Some of those people are going to be people who know just enough to create a dangerous dog or train an unstable dog in protection because someone is paying them to do it, and they want the payday whether it's the right thing to do or not. Or they just don't know which dog is suitable and which isn't.

If you want to train in something like this---do what Castlemaid said and find a good club. And if you intend to use a private trainer then please try and find one that has been highly recommended by a good club.
angelas, Castlemaid, Deb and 7 others like this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:29 AM
Crowned Member

Most departments buy "green" dogs from established brokers. Brokers are many times retired K9 officers who establish a business selling dogs. They go to Europe and buy quantites of dogs from brokers or contacts there. Most K9s are unpapered. It is very common that the township and police deparments own the dogs and do not want them used in breeding, thus the papers are not transferred or even provided. I know a few K9 guys who just breed anyway, with no papers, no health clearances...they like the dog, they breed it and sell puppies for a few hundred bucks each to locals who think it is cool that their puppy's daddy is a police dog.

Civilians are rarely let into this world. Even establish breeders. I had a few friends who trained who became cops. I know a few, and a few of my dogs have found their way into the hands of LE and onto a force.

Carmen knows much more about this world.

Lee
Chip18 and Winnal like this.

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:53 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
It is my impression, and I may well be wrong so people who know more about this please jump in.

But it is my impression that there are a fair amount of trainers out there who will "train your dog for protection", just like all other dog trainers there is no regulation and anybody can hang out a shingle. Some of those people are going to be people who know just enough to create a dangerous dog or train an unstable dog in protection because someone is paying them to do it, and they want the payday whether it's the right thing to do or not. Or they just don't know which dog is suitable and which isn't.

If you want to train in something like this---do what Castlemaid said and find a good club. And if you intend to use a private trainer then please try and find one that has been highly recommended by a good club.
this is so true.

there are many who buy trained dogs which they demo -- but that does not reflect any level of personal skill or experience

take your dog to a club and get hands on , expect to make mistakes and learn from them.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page