Building Searches. How do you do it? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Building Searches. How do you do it?

I couldn't decide what section to put this in, so I just went with this one.

I am getting Kimber ready for her SDA Police Dog 3 title. One of the things that entails is a building search. Now I don't know what the building will be. It can be everything from an office building to a barn or anything in between. She will be looking for a "bad guy" who can be hiding anywhere. In the ceiling, inside a box under a bed, anywhere the judge decides to put him. The person hiding will not be wearing bite gear, so the decoy will be somewhere the dog can't get to them and the dog must go into an alert.

I've started Kimber in the usual search for her toy type stuff. Then I went to an office building and let her see the decoy go into a room. When I sent her, the decoy would shut the door and we would encourage her to start barking. Once barking the decoy would open the door and let her in for a bite. From there I faded out her being able to see him hide. Usually we would keep it to one section of a building or shop. We then moved to the decoy being able to hide in the whole building and she had to either find and alert or find and bite depending if she could reach him or not. We are just now starting to introduce different elevations, such as the decoy up on shelving or on top of another structure. This method seems to be working okay, but like everything else, I know there are a thousand ways to teach it. I'm the type of person who likes to know as many methods as I can. So how do you teach it? SAR people? What do you guys do?

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 02:52 PM

Bahhhhh, I typed a long response and it got timed out and lost……Grrrrrrrrrr That and the password changes have made reposting it, well not so enjoyable.

Here is a video of a patrol dog that I trained last year doing a nice methodical building search. This was two months into training. The dog is searching for a decoy with no equipment and checks every room, before proceeding further down the building.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOlng3BQp7c
RZZNSTR likes this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim

Last edited by Slamdunc; 07-15-2016 at 02:59 PM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 03:14 PM
Crowned Member

Hey Jim! Saw your videos of some little sista searching last night. She rocks!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:10 PM

HA! Thanks!

Jody showed you the videos of my little Francesca?

She is killing it with her narcotics training. I think I am going to certify her on Monday and start working her when Boomer retires. It's funny, because I have done so little actual training with that dog and she is so hot on the narcotics work. She is a fun dog to work and I love the nose to source passive response. I imprinted her on the odors at 3 - 5 months then let it go for almost a year, doing very little with the narcotics work and she definitely has it. Probably, the easiest narcotics dog that I have trained and has absolutely no bad habits or associations. I ran 7 cars with her last night in 90 degree heat with two blanks and 10 finds, interiors and exteriors. All blind to me, she nailed every one with out even getting gassed.

I took her to work last night and we had a car stopped and another K-9 alerted and we recovered some dope, for the heck of it I ran her on the car and she nailed it as well. I am going to train her to be a courier dog and search people, that is going to be interesting.
Kibs likes this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:32 PM
Crowned Member

She did! I was there last night for a lesson. Francesca was ON it. All those dogs have great noses. Nosework looks like a blast.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:47 PM

Detection work is a blast and I have started training some folks in the canine nose worx stuff. I am involved with Spikesk9fund.org and I am going to be be doing some seminars on getting started in the Nose work, problem solving and some advanced searching techniques. It will be a fundraiser for spikesK9 and something that anyone with any dog can do. Big dogs, little dogs, old dogs, young dogs as long as they have a nose they can do it.
Jax08 and Kibs like this.

Jim
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 09:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
She is killing it with her narcotics training. I think I am going to certify her on Monday and start working her when Boomer retires.
What happened to Boru?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Crowned Member

Jim - do you see a conflict in doing nosework along with IPO? Will it mess up the IPO tracking?

Actually....I'll take this to a new thread. We've already hi-jacked mycobraracr's thread enough!!

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
What happened to Boru?
Ohh, I still have Boru. I am waiting to start a patrol school with a green handler and a green dog this month. We have done our handler selection, PT test, decoying, oral interview process and last 3 evals. We selected a really good Officer. I have already tested and selected a very nice Mali X GSD mix for him. I tried to get the new handler to take Boru, but he wants no part of that. I tried to retire another K-9 that is 9 years old and get that guy to take Boru and he said "no way." Since no one else wants him, will take him or can handle him, I am stuck with him. I expect I will start the Patrol School for the new handler team by the end of this month, then I will have him certified as my new partner by September.

I have done a good amount with Boru, but I am still working Boomer and until he retires there are only so many hours in the day. I have done all the training that I can by myself with Boru. I have laid the foundation for his hard surface tracking, taught him article or evidence searches, and he does some really nice obedience.

When the new guy starts he will be Boru's pin cushion for the next 4 months. I really need to work on aggression control and the out with him. Two absolutely critical components with a dog like him. He is doing well, coming to work with me and Boomer most days, except when I take Francesca. He lives at my house and we work and hang out together every day. He is doing well and is a lot of fun, loving the new 5 acres he gets to run around on.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Jim
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 09:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
Ohh, I still have Boru. I am waiting to start a patrol school with a green handler and a green dog this month. We have done our handler selection, PT test, decoying, oral interview process and last 3 evals. We selected a really good Officer. I have already tested and selected a very nice Mali X GSD mix for him. I tried to get the new handler to take Boru, but he wants no part of that. I tried to retire another K-9 that is 9 years old and get that guy to take Boru and he said "no way." Since no one else wants him, will take him or can handle him, I am stuck with him. I expect I will start the Patrol School for the new handler team by the end of this month, then I will have him certified as my new partner by September.

I have done a good amount with Boru, but I am still working Boomer and until he retires there are only so many hours in the day. I have done all the training that I can by myself with Boru. I have laid the foundation for his hard surface tracking, taught him article or evidence searches, and he does some really nice obedience.

When the new guy starts he will be Boru's pin cushion for the next 4 months. I really need to work on aggression control and the out with him. Two absolutely critical components with a dog like him. He is doing well, coming to work with me and Boomer most days, except when I take Francesca. He lives at my house and we work and hang out together every day. He is doing well and is a lot of fun, loving the new 5 acres he gets to run around on.
Good! It was a bit over due for an update on him. If you can find somebody to take him, is Francesca going to be the next Boomer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page