Another K-9 Death - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Another K-9 Death

Today the sixth K-9 this month was killed in Wilkinsburg, Pa. In 38 years of K-9 I have never seen a month like this. (4) killed by gunfire, (1) struck and killed by a motor vehicle and today (1) stabbed to death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, it's been a bad month for k9s.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 11:29 PM

It has been a rough month, especially knowing one of the K-9's that was killed and being friends with his handler. it is a very dangerous job these brave dogs do.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 01:58 AM
Banned

Well it sucks we have good K9's getting killed (did not know it was 6 in one month!) And bad K9's (being treated like pets as far as I'm concerned) and attacking and mauling family members.

Not much in the way of balance here?? But I am not in LE or PPD or IPO stuff.

Still ... I usually manage to be "that guy" and since a lot of members are LE I'd like to ask two questions.

In this case, the guy had a knife and was out of his mind, if the knife was observed before hand, wouldn't releasing the dog be basically a suicide run for the dog??

Not passing judgement just asking a question.

And second and again "not my thing" but if I had a PPD, I would want him to be able to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGuYvC46M68

Why isn't this done with LE K9's?? I would think that there is very high probability that a "suspect would have at least a knife??
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 02:14 AM

Chip,
I wasn't there so I can not comment on the deployment, nor would I. I haven't read any of the details and I know first hand the media is only about 20 % correct and that is being generous.

If the knife was observed before hand I wouldn't send my dog. Unless, sending the dog would save another persons life. In the case of K-9 Krijger, he saved several lives as the suspect was armed. Generally speaking, if I know a suspect is armed with a knife, I'm going to a gun, not a baton, pepper spray or a dog. However, we assume everyone we deal with is armed, we don't always have that information.

Sorry, but not overly impressed by the video. Not, how I like to train dogs, just me though.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim

Last edited by Slamdunc; 02-01-2016 at 02:19 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
It has been a rough month, especially knowing one of the K-9's that was killed and being friends with his handler. it is a very dangerous job these brave dogs do.
My heartfelt condolences to you, your friend and the department. It's been a horrifying month.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Crowned Member

They are hero dogs for sure and heartfelt condolences to all of the handlers

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Crowned Member

Im not LE or anything like that but I cant believe how many brave K-9 officers have given their livesthis month. Is it just an outlier year for K-9 officers being murdered or is it they need better protection or has something changed in the criminals they are facing. Two of these possibilities have different ways to be solved or maybe a combiantion. Better protective equipment would fit maybe the first two and additional or a different traing is the second. I have no ideas as I have little knowledge. Im just want to add my condolences to the offivers and their departments who lost a brother in blue.
My

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Chip in a lot of cases it is unknown if the perp is armed at the time.

One of my partners was injured when responding to a call of a purse snatching. I was informed by all the witnesses at the scene the perp was unarmed. When I deployed my partner and he began the track, I track exclusively (off) the lead, he located him two blocks later hiding in a backyard behind a shed. As my partner engaged him, the perp had found a piece of pipe either in the yard or along his route of travel. He struck "Rico" over the head once that I could observe knocking him senseless. "Rico" got back up and reengaged as I knocked the perp over the head with my mag lite. We then took him into custody.

Like Slamdunc stated, I would never deploy my partner if I observe the suspect with any kind of weapon visible.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy&Lucky's Mom View Post
Im not LE or anything like that but I cant believe how many brave K-9 officers have given their livesthis month. Is it just an outlier year for K-9 officers being murdered or is it they need better protection or has something changed in the criminals they are facing. Two of these possibilities have different ways to be solved or maybe a combiantion. Better protective equipment would fit maybe the first two and additional or a different traing is the second. I have no ideas as I have little knowledge. Im just want to add my condolences to the offivers and their departments who lost a brother in blue.
My
Sometimes, even with the best equipment, proper training and deployment a K-9 or a Police Officer can be killed or injured. In K-9 Krijger's case I know that he prevented other Officers from being killed or injured in a shoot out with the suspect. We do all we can to keep ourselves, our partners both K-9 and human safe. When it comes right down to it, K-9 is the most dangerous job a Police Officer can do. You can not always predict suspect actions, their mindset or their determination and inclination to violence.

Thank you for you concern and condolences.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page