Meet K-9 Boru - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 202Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Meet K-9 Boru

Here is my new K-9 Partner "Boru." Named after the legendary King of Ireland, Brian Boru. I mentioned that I had the opportunity to get a very nice dog that wasn't working out with his team mates. Boru is a KNPV titled Belgian Malinois X Dutch Shepherd tested, selected and imported in November by some very talented trainers that work with a very elite unit. Boru wasn't working out as intended for them, he had an issue with multiple handlers working him. As I mentioned in another thread, he nailed a couple of handlers and a trainer. This was not an option for the types of missions these guys do.

I got Boru last Thursday and noticed a couple of issues which I mentioned. One was that he had some apprehension about "loading up" in the car. Initially, I didn't want to fight with this dog and was trying a take it slow, more motivational approach. He is just over 3 years old, very large, very strong and very intense. I don't like to fight with dogs and especially not this dog knowing some of his history. Well, the first days were a little rough getting him into the car. I used food and waited, and waited until he jumped in. I think it took 20 minutes one very cold and rainy night. The fact that it was midnight and I wanted to take care of my other dogs and tired, didn't help. I have fed him 3 x a day in the car. All his meals were fed in the car and he had to get in to eat.

I kept at it for 4 or 5 days and I could see the anxiety go away and the time shortened. We bonded and have an awesome relationship. He is a great dog, that is actually very affectionate and fun. I think his association was that he had with the car was being put away for hours and the fun was over, combined with some E collar work to get him in the car.

We have a 12 acre fenced training compound with multiple buildings to use. I brought him there Monday, locked the gates and let him run. I played the "two ball game" to work the out and recall. Hid in a large building and called him in to find me. A fun easy way to start building search training.

I gave him his toy and he laid in the grass chewing on it. I placed cheese in the back of the car, opened the cage to the front seat and left the rear door open. I drove about 20 yards and he came running to the car. He then jumped in and ate the cheese. The cage was open and I petted and praised him. He jumped out and I put more cheese out and he jumped in and out.

I am very happy to say that getting in the car is no longer and issue and something Boru really enjoys. He was in and out with ease today at training with a very eager jump in. He now waits when I open the door and will stand to be praised, petted and loved on when he hops in.

Here are a couple pics of my new partner:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1858.jpg
Views:	1132
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	344913   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2421.jpg
Views:	1213
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	344921  

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

No handler aggression with me, quite the opposite, I feel that I have had this dog his whole life. But, he is a drivey, civil dog and today was the first day of bite work with him. Wow, he is a beast and a bad ass, in a good way. I was expecting a very edgy dog, that I would have to work on capping and him not being frantic. Man, he is clear headed, took a lot of pressure and was very comfortable with me approaching, petting and handling him on the bite. He has that real full, pushing KNPV style of bite that I really like and brings some real nice power. He impressed the decoy, the two PDs that were there and me. It was super nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2221.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	344929   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2210.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	344937  
Ozzieleuk and Julian G like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #3 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Did I say that I am super happy? I am super happy with this dog, I hit the power ball with him. Oh, and excellent hips, elbows and spine. X rays were fantastic.

I was told that he is a "one person" dog and needed to work with one handler. His original occupation called for several handlers and he did not do well in that environment. I have spent time drinking coffee with this dog outside and he just wants to hug me and drink my coffee. In less than a week he is exceeding my expectations and progressing faster than I would have thought. I can't wait to certify and catch some bad guys with this dog.

Tomorrow more bite work and hard surface tracking. I will get some video to post if anyone is interested as we train.
Breaker's mom and Julian G like this.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 01:58 AM
Banned

OMG, that is the first Mal/Dutchie I've ever seen! So that is the don't like multi handlers guy! And of course, video's nice work on the car thing.
post #5 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 04:44 AM
Elite Member

Wow! Lucky dog getting YOU. And that picture of you two hugging ... that says it all. Gorgeous dog! Very happy for you both. Awesome!
Slamdunc likes this.

Garrison - GSD
Cupid - terrier mix (shelter rescue)
Stella Artois - lab/boxer (?) mix (shelter rescue)
Saranac - Siberian Husky
3 kitties, 1 goldfish, 1 cockatiel
post #6 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 05:36 AM
Elite Member

Very interested in video and following your training with this dog. He sounds fantastic, just needed the right handler. He looks huge in the pictures!
Congrats!
Slamdunc likes this.
post #7 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:31 AM
Crowned Member

Beautiful dog and he sounds amazing! May you have a productive and safe career together, definitely keep us updated on his progress and go kick some butt Boru!
Slamdunc likes this.

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:41 AM
Crowned Member

Slamdunc very cool posts and pics.
Slamdunc likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OFA Good/Normal | DM Clear
post #9 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:55 AM
Master Member

Thanks! What a happy post. I'd say I'm jealous (I am) but I have neither the ability or inclination to work with such an amazing dog, so I'm content to live vicaryously through you. I read every word, would LOVE to see videos.
Slamdunc likes this.

SONIC (Potcake+BC) DOB JL 2014, Mine Jan 12 2016

Cats: Riker, Simba, Batman
Angels: Dynamo GSD, Zandor GSD Mix, Misha GSD
Me: Artist, geeked out on dog training
post #10 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:10 AM
Knighted Member

What a great story. And thank you both for all you do.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page