Meet K-9 Boru - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 202Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchKarin View Post
To Slam-dunc... how great this guy has you and your experience and style. All the very best to you and Baru. I know as a fellow Dutch sufferer...and I say that with a big smile on my face....their possessiveness and confidence and determination and bratty insistence is a pain in the you know where but also gives them the hutspa (spelling?) that we so come to love.

And trying to figure out what works for them... totally agree that beer will help. ;-)
Do you think I should give him beer? Maybe that would help?

He has already tried to get my coffee.

It is that possessiveness and confidence that will be my next issue to work on. He most certainly has the hutspa

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
He's beautiful. I admire your patience with the car and your creative solution. You got a great partner.

Thanks! We will see, it's only been a week. So far so good.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #33 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchKarin View Post
Malinois and Dutch coming out of KNPV lines are referred to as Mal X (cross) if they are blonde and Dutch X if brindle. KNPV lines liberally cross these two as the focus is on traits for protection work and not color. Most of the Dutch in the US are out of KNPV lines hence crosses. Genetically only the color varies.

In both Malinois and Dutch Shepherds there are "pure" lines referred to as FCI lines. These are not crossed one to the other or at least not for many generations. But there is a lot of argument whether or not they are different breeds or just different coat colors.
Thanks I had no idea what a Dutch Shepard was until Baillif mentioned them a few months ago.

And ...how do the MAl/GSD's fit into things?? I find those kinda cool. What are those like as "pets" using Mal's a reference point??

I do know Bailiff has no and yeah ...not a lab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:20 PM
Crowned Member

One step at a time! Good luck Jim!
post #35 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 10:00 PM

Congrats Jim....sounds like you will have a great new partner to start the next chapter after Boomer gets his well deserved retirement.
post #36 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Thanks I had no idea what a Dutch Shepard was until Baillif mentioned them a few months ago.

And ...how do the MAl/GSD's fit into things?? I find those kinda cool. What are those like as "pets" using Mal's a reference point??

I do know Bailiff has no and yeah ...not a lab.
Malinois X GSD's are really nice dogs. Just like a GSD or a Malinois they can be great pets. They need exercise and something to do. Some have more drive than others, just like GSD's and Malinois. Generally speaking, they seem to have high drives, less frantic and clearer head. It is a super combination for a Police K-9, SWAT dog or MWD. IMO

Jim
post #37 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Rzznstr and Bahcan,
Thanks! I am taking it one step at a time and breaking everything down into components and the basics for each exercise or behavior.

Boomer is still going strong and doing great. He could probably work another year. You are right, he has earned his retirement and 10 is a good age to retire.

Here is a pic of Boomer from this past summer:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boomer on steps in stay.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	345129  

Jim
post #38 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 12:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
Malinois X GSD's are really nice dogs. Just like a GSD or a Malinois they can be great pets. They need exercise and something to do. Some have more drive than others, just like GSD's and Malinois. Generally speaking, they seem to have high drives, less frantic and clearer head. It is a super combination for a Police K-9, SWAT dog or MWD. IMO
Thanks for the input ... this time I'll do research first before acquiring a GSD or derivative thereof. The school of hard knocks taught me about WL dogs ... hard way to learn got stitches on that one.

My (as it turns out, OS) WL GSD turned out to be a bit more than "a big furry dog with a funny face." Boxer, American Band Dawg, guy. Yeah there was a pretty steep learning curve on that one!
post #39 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

What is OS?

Jim
post #40 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 01:23 AM
Crowned Member

Boomer looks great!

Good luck with your new dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page