Meet K-9 Boru - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 202Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:25 AM
Crowned Member

Good looking dog Jim! I really like your approach to the issue. Trust and bond are so very important in LE work, and whatever tools you use( food, praise, toys, balls, love, etc) so your craftsmanship in your work with dogs. Big time respect from me!
Slamdunc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:27 AM
Crowned Member

Good looking dog Jim! I really like your approach to the issue. Trust and bond are so very important in LE work, and whatever tools you use( food, praise, toys, balls, love, etc) shows your craftsmanship in your work with dogs. Big time respect from me!
post #13 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Crowned Member

Congrats Jim! He looks awesome!!

OT: did you retire Boomer?
Slamdunc likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all very much! I'm super excited about training and working with this dog. It seems it was one of those things that was meant to be. He was tested and selected out of 45 dogs in Holland by some friends who train some very elite dogs. They spent a good amount of money on him and were correct in their assessment that he needs one handler. The vendor wanted this dog to get a good working home and offered him to me at a price my PD would pay and it was an awesome deal. I am still working "Boomer" for the next few months while I train Boru.

Yes, he is a big, lanky all legs of a dog right now. He is a skinny 65 lbs and will probably wind up being about 70 lbs of muscle.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #15 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:15 AM
Crowned Member

The vendor made an excellent choice in you.

post #16 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Jax,
Not yet. I am still working the street with Boomer until Boru certifies. It is bitter sweet, to see Boomer retire, he has had a great career. Boomer has made me look good every day. He has had some really awesome apprehensions of some really bad people, located missing alzheimer's and suicidal people in swamps and deep woods. He has made almost 100 apprehensions in his career and found lots of Narcotics. Worked him on the SWAT team for the past 7 years and has kept me safe a whole lot of times. Boomer is an awesome dog and will have a nice retirement relaxing at my house. He has been a super easy dog for me and I love him. I see a lot of the same qualities, traits and temperament in Boru. I have been truly blessed and spoiled with Boomer. He is a tough act to follow.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #17 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Cliff,
Thanks! I prefer to work smarter and not harder. I like to use all the tools that I can, toys, praise, affection and even food for certain behaviors. I don't need to tell you that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I'm headed out to do some training and get him started on his hard surface scent discrimination tracking. Tracking is something that I love and there is nothing more rewarding then the person that you are searching for at the end of your track.

Jim
post #18 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:23 AM
Crowned Member

Nice, good luck with him Jim.
Slamdunc likes this.
post #19 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Steve, thanks!

Jim
post #20 of 335 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Crowned Member

Nice Jim! I look forward to hearing more about your adventures with him.
Slamdunc likes this.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page