Male vs Female as Police Dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Male vs Female as Police Dogs?

As we are sitting here having a general conversation at work about police dogs, I'm having a hard time thinking of any females doing the job. From TV shows, to demonstrations I have seen to dogs dying in the line of duty, all males.

Why is this?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Crowned Member

I don't know about the police but I'm in a MWD group on FB and they post, honor, a lot of female dogs there, think David's Fama for example.

So I would be surprised if (why) police would not follow suit?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Crowned Member

I see both male and female K9's. Majority are males, just like in sports. The saying goes, all strong females belong in the whelping room. Working females can be more difficult as well. Females hold grudges, males don't. think of it like this. I pushed a girl off a swing in kindergarten. Twenty years later she still hates me because of that one day. Where my best friend and I have punched each other in the face on many occasions but are still as close as can be. Male and female dogs are the same way.

As in all this stuff, this is just generalizations. There are always exceptions to the rule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I just found it odd that it just hit me. I'm wracking my brain and I can't come up with one I've seen. Even military, David's is one of the only ones I can think of.

I do understand the grudge thing

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:38 AM

I simply do not see a lot of females offered for sale as potential K-9 prospects. I have tested a few and one Dutch Shepherd was awesome. The vendor "claimed the dog was two, but based on her teeth and body she appeared to be about 4 and had several litters. Awesome dog, if I wanted a bitch for breeding working dogs she would have been great.

I have owned some awesome females for sport and I enjoy working a female in IPO. Hence, my new GSD pup is a female. When it comes to LE work, we do not spay or neuter dogs. Some females will get a little flaky when they come into season, it will also affect our male dogs. Not a big deal, just one reason. Males are generally larger, have more aggression and do not go into heat.

There is the belief that females are more protective and will not leave the handler to engage someone a distance away, I do not believe this. I think a hard female will work just as a male will. We just do not see them offered for sale. I do test them occasionally and test them the same as the male dogs. The availability of good females is very low if not rare in my area. We do have a super single purpose lab in our narcotics unit and she is great.

For patrol dogs, I like the size, aggression and working abilities of male dogs. I am testing dogs this week, if a super female was available I'd take her. But, as correctly mentioned, females like that are often held back for breeding.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

My first thought is that this reminds of the old days where a woman with strong hips was to be barefoot and pregnant and the male supported the family. Not saying that is bad or good but that is my first thought

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:29 PM

Need more agression in the police dog and size. Intact males may have higher agresivness and definately are a bit bigger. In this case size matter.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldi View Post
Need more agression in the police dog and size. Intact males may have higher agresivness and definately are a bit bigger. In this case size matter.
This is what Wikipedia said. It also said females were used mainly for rescue, tracking, drugs..

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Crowned Member

Lisa, there's plenty of female MWDs. Join a couple of military working dog groups (I'm on a couple that honor and support retiring MWDs) and you will see them in stories and pics, posted by the handlers.

Just because David's Fama (which I noted earlier) is the only you have seen it does not equal a statistical sample of what genders the military is using over all.

That doesn't mean they represent the majority but that aren't all that rare either.

Last edited by Gwenhwyfair; 03-02-2015 at 12:50 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Crowned Member

Regarding size, why are a lot of departments using Malinios which tend to be smaller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
I simply do not see a lot of females offered for sale as potential K-9 prospects. I have tested a few and one Dutch Shepherd was awesome. The vendor "claimed the dog was two, but based on her teeth and body she appeared to be about 4 and had several litters. Awesome dog, if I wanted a bitch for breeding working dogs she would have been great.

I have owned some awesome females for sport and I enjoy working a female in IPO. Hence, my new GSD pup is a female. When it comes to LE work, we do not spay or neuter dogs. Some females will get a little flaky when they come into season, it will also affect our male dogs. Not a big deal, just one reason. Males are generally larger, have more aggression and do not go into heat.

There is the belief that females are more protective and will not leave the handler to engage someone a distance away, I do not believe this. I think a hard female will work just as a male will. We just do not see them offered for sale. I do test them occasionally and test them the same as the male dogs. The availability of good females is very low if not rare in my area. We do have a super single purpose lab in our narcotics unit and she is great.

For patrol dogs, I like the size, aggression and working abilities of male dogs. I am testing dogs this week, if a super female was available I'd take her. But, as correctly mentioned, females like that are often held back for breeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page