gsd vs other dogs for serious street patrol work? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Question gsd vs other dogs for serious street patrol work?

for patrol, crowd control, military

like the hard work i only see gsd's or mals

recently usually mals

When it is gsds they seem to be mostly czech lines or czech west ddr/german mixes has anyone noticed that trend for the police dogs now?

I have not seen any of the working line german rotties or european dobies working as real police dogs, i saw a dobie as a sentry dog but he did not seem to really be that good at it like the shepherds were.

Any idea why other breeds are almost never used now for this stuff? In personal protection training I keep noticing more and more mals and german sheps (more mals) seem like the only serious protectors the other breeds will bite but they get too defensive, not as much courage, not a dog id trust with my life. Also noticed gsd and malas bite with all parts of their mouths specially the back molars. They seem like they would do the most damage.

The mastiff type dogs seem to just do frontal bites and never counter much? Again its just personal experience. I love shepherds but a shepherd was not my first choice from the start I had other breeds in mind but they just did not fit the work I had planned out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 03:45 AM
Crowned Member

Can I ask what work you planned for? Just curious, I have some thoughts but don't want to offend anyone.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 06:03 AM

I suspect breeders go where the money is. With the reductions of family farms, there are many more people wanting pet type temperaments than working dog temperaments. Also, with the popularity of a particular breed comes more BYBs who may bring in an influx of less stable and healthy dogs.

This is a topic that comes up from time to time in our club as folks have watched dogs change over the years.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 07:12 AM
Banned

You can tell the line of the dog just by looking at it?
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

no I ask usually others that are training police or cops in k9

sabis at that time around 6 years or so ago i was looking for a strong dog for serious personal protection work but the breeds I was interested in trying I researched and looked at but they could not do it went to a few clubs and talked to and met with some experienced in training k9 or pp and talked to a few people in psa, I did a lot of looking i had shepherds in the past and really wanted to try something new for this didn't work out tho I really did not want a mal. Shepherd worked out with flying colors though. My next dog will be shepherd again I think.

Last edited by pets4life; 01-29-2015 at 03:20 PM.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 04:46 PM
Crowned Member

around here, most of the police K9s are from KNPV lines. They can buy green or trained dogs from the Netherlands cheaper than from breeders in the US.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 05:53 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
no I ask usually others that are training police or cops in k9

sabis at that time around 6 years or so ago i was looking for a strong dog for serious personal protection work but the breeds I was interested in trying I researched and looked at but they could not do it went to a few clubs and talked to and met with some experienced in training k9 or pp and talked to a few people in psa, I did a lot of looking i had shepherds in the past and really wanted to try something new for this didn't work out tho I really did not want a mal. Shepherd worked out with flying colors though. My next dog will be shepherd again I think.
Having worked with several patrol/protection dogs over the course of 15+ years, my only choice would be a GSD.
For their forgiveness of training hiccups, for their ability to discern a real threat, for their varied capabilities, for their hardiness and patience and for the willingness to work at a seconds notice, with or without food, sleep, shelter or equipment. It is that cool head in the face of chaos, that unfailing devotion even when it would be smarter to cut and run, the sense of humor that makes them grin when they scare people, that pig-headed tenacity that will get their handler out safe every time.
They are the masters of intelligent disobedience when they know they're right and your wrong, and they teach themselves continually. Like learning to turn around and watch my back while I unlocked doors, or shouldering me instead of making noise to alert to human presence.
Maybe not the fastest, the strongest or the most agile but all around they don't make any better.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Having worked with several patrol/protection dogs over the course of 15+ years, my only choice would be a GSD.
For their forgiveness of training hiccups, for their ability to discern a real threat, for their varied capabilities, for their hardiness and patience and for the willingness to work at a seconds notice, with or without food, sleep, shelter or equipment. It is that cool head in the face of chaos, that unfailing devotion even when it would be smarter to cut and run, the sense of humor that makes them grin when they scare people, that pig-headed tenacity that will get their handler out safe every time.
They are the masters of intelligent disobedience when they know they're right and your wrong, and they teach themselves continually. Like learning to turn around and watch my back while I unlocked doors, or shouldering me instead of making noise to alert to human presence.
Maybe not the fastest, the strongest or the most agile but all around they don't make any better.

Spot on!
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 08:23 PM
Elite Member

That could be in a breed description book!! I think anyone who has really worked their dog (No offense to the pets out there that have done remarkable things, either) under pressure and seen just how intelligent, devoted, intuitive, and brave they are can hardly question why they are so popular. There are faster, stronger breeds out there, but I will happily take the GSD that is 2nd in all things over just being excellent in one... Imho
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 08:59 PM
Banned

Perfect description. The "forgiveness" part is so right, they wait for us to rise and understand to achieve that perfect level of communication. Their long history proves many times over these qualities.

Many breeds will respond to training "mechanically". There is only one IMHO the GSD that goes the extra mile, not only concerned about the "situation" but seems to read their handler/owner in the aftermath and gets close to provide comfort and understanding and encouragement. They understand the partnership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page