Bomb detection Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Bomb detection Dogs

Recently someone insisted to me that explosives trained K9's are only good for about 20 minutes, then needed "several hours rest".

Is this true?

Also, if this would be more appropriate in the military section, feel free to move.

~Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell, aka The RocketDog
06/15/11
hiker and runner extraordinaire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
Recently someone insisted to me that explosives trained K9's are only good for about 20 minutes, then needed "several hours rest".

Is this true?

Also, if this would be more appropriate in the military section, feel free to move.
Dogs are individuals. If they have a lazy handler, they won't be in good enough condition to work longer than that. The several hours rest is an exaggeration as well.

My dog Fama can go much longer than that. Much, much longer.

8 miles every morning for both of us.

David Winners

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)

Last edited by David Winners; 09-25-2013 at 12:25 AM.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 07:36 AM
Crowned Member

David I think the question was how long could the dog sustain deep concentration , not how physically active it could be .\
Condition and innate drive .
There are SAR tracks which take longer !
There are dogs that search Bed Bugs in hotels, theatres, public transit , schools etc etc -- with sustained concentration and accuracy pretty much all day .
Same with Customs dogs .
I would question a dog that can't work with concentration longer than 20 minutes .

dog "Dr Baker" , Simba, Sable, and I am sure Buffy worked diligently and accurately for as long as it took. "Baker" was used when Pope John Paul did his first North American visit -- all buildings and route were searched by him prior to the Pope entering that zone . Baker also did the search and security for the G 7 Summit in 1988 , assigned to the protection of Pres Reagan .
Simba - Houston Intercontinental Airport - all day.

Dogs at the GTAA -- all day

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by carmspack; 09-25-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 08:08 AM

A long day for Fama:

6 kilometers of dismounted route clearance through the mountains, followed by searching every building (43 total) in a small village, followed by another 4 kilometers of route clearance. It was 105 degrees outside in the afternoon. This took us 9 hours to accomplish.

David Winners

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Crowned Member

David - that is a working dog !

Carmen

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 09:11 AM

Lol... she lives for it. I'm lucky to have had the pleasure of her as a partner.

David Winners

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 09:12 AM

We typically work our detection dogs much longer than 20 minutes. It is a combination of conditioning, drive and training to increase stamina or working ability. Temperature and weather plays a huge factor. The dog needs to be in excellent physical shape and has to be conditioned by jogging, biking, etc. A well conditioned dog will search longer and track longer than an out of shape dog. Another factor is the handler being to recognize when the dog is going out of drive and not working or focusing and being able to put the dog back into drive and back on task.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 AM

Nothing like getting all goofy in front of the team to motivate the dog

There is no way we could have done that search when we first deployed. We spent a lot of time conditioning and training long, long venues to build up to that level. That search was 5 months into deployment.

David Winners

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you so much all, for responding. This was a person who lives on the west side of Washington and was trying to tell me the dogs working the ferries, who sniff the vehicles getting loaded, were all "for show", because they can't work that long. I knew he was full of crap, but it did start me wondering along the general lines.

David, I would definitely assume that, especially in certain situations, there would be minimal rest.

~Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell, aka The RocketDog
06/15/11
hiker and runner extraordinaire

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
Thank you so much all, for responding. This was a person who lives on the west side of Washington and was trying to tell me the dogs working the ferries, who sniff the vehicles getting loaded, were all "for show", because they can't work that long. I knew he was full of crap, but it did start me wondering along the general lines.

David, I would definitely assume that, especially in certain situations, there would be minimal rest.
There are breaks for humans and dog alike. Our rule of thumb was if we stopped and Fama napped, we would continue mission when she woke lol. The first one would be about 15 minutes, and when she woke up, she would shake, nose my cheek, and be ready to rock.

David Winners

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page