Anyone know what happened... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Anyone know what happened...

This video is "older than dirt", and watching it reminds me of all the things that went wrong before the reporter was bitten: Handler not picking up on the dog's reaction, increasingly nervous and uneasy dog, reporter-guy getting too "up close and personal" around the dog, etc.

I'm assuming this dog was a definite wash-out. Does anybody know what happened to him? At the time this was filmed, Pedro was a 15 month old GSD with the Marshall, TX Police Department.

Last edited by Ingrid; 02-01-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

well he was petting the dog on the head making eye contact and then going over top of him. The dog was clearly uncomfortable with the petting by his ears and eyes and the way he was licking. The handler should have picked up on that I would think.

I don't know anything about it but that is my two cents.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Master Member

I don't see why Pedro's reaction to the reporter would disqualify him from police work. He gave a lot of warnings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Elite Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
well he was petting the dog on the head making eye contact and then going over top of him. The dog was clearly uncomfortable with the petting by his ears and eyes and the way he was licking. The handler should have picked up on that I would think.
YES! Man, when I ever get eye contact like that, I'm turning my head and slowly backing away!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

Clear warning signs from the dog that he was uncomfortable. The reporter went over the dog as stated, petting the head. Handler error in not reading the dog and error in part of the reporter for basically acting like the dog is a household pet that is tolerant of the same moves the reporter was using.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 12:00 PM

That seems like a perfect dog for a cop.

What doesn't seem perfect is that you would let a stranger come over the top of a trained dog. The video is a good tool for what not to do as a handler, or just a random person approaching a dog they don't know.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Knighted Member

Both parties may have made mistakes, however, this is a perfect example of why I never pet someone elses dog even if they tell me its ok.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Banned

The reporter was crowding, the dog was giving off warning signals that were clearly ignored.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

"I don't see why Pedro's reaction to the reporter would disqualify him from police work. He gave a lot of warnings."

Pedro isn't the one that "dropped the ball" here; Those humans have a lot of explaining to do. Because of the publicity involved, I'm wondering if Pedro was reassigned to a different handler or went to another Department.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Banned

See, this is why dogs get labeled "unpredictable".
People are just plain idiotic and ignore signals all the time, or simply misread them. Either way, if the dog's body language had been read, they could have seen that bite coming and prevented it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page