Protection training starting... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Protection training starting...

Is obedience good before protection is started? As long as it's not too much on a pup? I planned to start obedience with my pup Reno, but I was wondering, (and I know every hound is different) when is a good age to introduce him to protection? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:55 AM
Knighted Member

In my opinion, and from what others have taught me, the dog absolutely must have solid obedience foundation before protection training begins. Protection is about control, and control comes from obedience. ( I think. )

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
In my opinion, and from what others have taught me, the dog absolutely must have solid obedience foundation before protection training begins. Protection is about control, and control comes from obedience. ( I think. )
Thanks for the knowledge. It makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Crowned Member

Agreed. You need a good deal of secondary obedience to be successful in protection work. Now...a dog doesn't need to be perfect, but the foundation needs to be there.

I've seen quite a few dogs where the club or handlers "do not believe" in putting OB on dogs before their protection work "is there." And I have yet to see one of those dog/handler combos that don't make me cringe.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 07:21 AM

Right, don't think of it in terms of fancy formal obedience, but in terms of control. That being said, when I am introducing a dog to protection there is zero to minimal ob asked for.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
Is obedience good before protection is started? As long as it's not too much on a pup? I planned to start obedience with my pup Reno, but I was wondering, (and I know every hound is different) when is a good age to introduce him to protection? Thanks in advance.

How old is your pup? can put obedience on him however, one does not want to use compulsion methods. use motivational methods .
when you say protection do you mean you will be attending a sport club?

One wants control on the dog of course,but one does not concentrate on control in the beginning. I can advise you better if we know your ultimate plans for your dog

Last edited by ladylaw203; 01-04-2012 at 07:34 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Master Member

I started obedience with Rayne from the start, 9 weeks. It was ALL positive reinforcement, motivational work for her at that time. I didn't teach her any house manners for a while though, she was a wild child in the house until she was probably 4 months old. I probably could have started that using positive reinforcement methods but I was hesitant.

We started the puppy bitework (short sessions, just building drive) at about 12 weeks. It seems to have worked out fine so far doing it that way

~ Cayla

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Klamari; 01-04-2012 at 08:43 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Crowned Member

yep rag work,all prey,happy happy
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Knighted Member

You should join a club or find a reputable trainer. Your club will offer the right guidance for you. They started me on lots of play, lots of drive building, a little obedience, bonding... I then moved on to drive building and basic obedience.. once I get my BH this spring we will move on from drive building, tug work, to the beginning stages of protection.

My pup has the genetics for the sport, so I was told just to focus on the drive building, bonding, reinforcing his full, calm grip and having fun with him.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylaw203 View Post
How old is your pup? can put obedience on him however, one does not want to use compulsion methods. use motivational methods .
when you say protection do you mean you will be attending a sport club?

One wants control on the dog of course,but one does not concentrate on control in the beginning. I can advise you better if we know your ultimate plans for your dog
He is 8 weeks old. I wanted to start his puppy classes at 10 weeks. I do plan to join some clubs around the area as well for his future activities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page