Hip/Elbow x-ray question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Hip/Elbow x-ray question

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a shepherd puppy. Very familiar with the breed, etc. We currently own a 8yr old (sch3) male, who has been the best dog we've ever had. We are pretty far along in the process and, and I'm crossing my I's and dotting my T's with the 3 breeders when one of them responds to my hip/elbow x-ray question with the following:

"We have not specifically had <Sire> and <Dam> x-rayed but <Blank Breeder>, whom we purchased them from, had x rayed their parents/grandparents and guaranteed there was no issue with hips. <Blank Breeder> had tested 6 generations back from <Dam's> lineage and 4 generations back from <Sire's> lineage and each generation was guaranteed. Their dogs had multiple title holders in several generations and is known for superior breeding. My husband, who you know is a physician, did not want to subject our dogs to unnecessary radiation given the fact that there has not been an issue with hips for so many generations. Due to the confidence we have in <Blank Breeder's> integrity, we also guarantee our dogs not to have any hip problems. If we were not sure of our dogs prior lineage, I'm sure checking the hips would be important but there is well documented records of 4 to 6 generations prior to this litter."

My immediate reaction is to drop them from consideration. Am I over reacting? Or is this the right decision? I have verified the information on the sire and dam's parents, but nothing further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Crowned Member

Run! I have been breeding dogs for 25 years. There is no justification for not screening hips. The dog should be titled or trained to a point of evaluating drive and temperament as well
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Crowned Member

Ditto what Renee says.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

What she said (Renee)

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies. I was stunned to get that email and I'm glad my first reaction was correct.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Crowned Member

Just because the parents and grandparents passed OFA does not mean this sire and dam will pass. It is unfortunate but that's how it is. I would run from this "breeder".

Carolina Johnson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page