Personal Protection Dog and usefulness? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Personal Protection Dog and usefulness?

Hi all,

How many of you have personal protection dogs and have actually had to use them in a situation? Given you are not a cop, or a jeweler etc... just in a normal situation.

My boy is being trained as a personal protection dog, but it has become more of a sport to me. Just curious of the stories on here....

Eli Von Der Pfalz - GSD - DOB 8/7/2010
Sierra - GSD Mix - DOB 12/26/2001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Knighted Member

This didn't happen to me but to someone who lives near me. She was out walking her dog the other night and a man came up to her with the intention of robbing her. She told him to back away from her because if he touched her, her dog would attack him. He said, "Lady I'm not scared of your stupid dog." He then proceeded to grab her, the dog reacted instantly and bit him in the arm. The man took off, police have asked the hospital that if a man meeting his description shows up at the hospital to get their arm stitched up to notify them right away.

Bet he's scared of dogs now.

*US Army Mom*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 05:14 PM

I find the idea of a personal protection dog a bit scary. Not sure about the laws in the US but I suspect over here even if your dog bit someone while protecting you it could still end up being put down unless it was a situation where somebody broke into your home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
I find the idea of a personal protection dog a bit scary. Not sure about the laws in the US but I suspect over here even if your dog bit someone while protecting you it could still end up being put down unless it was a situation where somebody broke into your home.
And this friends is the problem with the world. We've gotta protect the poor "disenfranchised" criminals from those evil law abiding citizens...

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Princess Abigail "Abbie"
Kai (RIP)
Loki (RIP)

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
It is scary. I used to think training for PP was a good idea, until I realized the scope of liability involved. It was explained to me that PP training is more about training the dog to OUT than to BITE, which makes sense--but regardless, the law would look at it as knowingly harboring a vicious animal.

Now I just have to hope that, if I'm ever in a situation that would warrant it, my dog would instinctively protect without any training.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
It is scary. I used to think training for PP was a good idea, until I realized the scope of liability involved. It was explained to me that PP training is more about training the dog to OUT than to BITE, which makes sense--but regardless, the law would look at it as knowingly harboring a vicious animal.

Now I just have to hope that, if I'm ever in a situation that would warrant it, my dog would instinctively protect without any training.
When the chips are down you will not rise to the occasion, you will fall back on your training...

Rob

Princess Abigail "Abbie"
Kai (RIP)
Loki (RIP)

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR870 View Post
When the chips are down you will not rise to the occasion, you will fall back on your training...

Ohhh, I like that very much!

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:30 PM

I have a "Personal Protection" dog. Here is my view on it. If someone wants to rob me, they are going to get attacked. Technically, according to the eyes of the law, yes, I may be harboring a viscous animal. However, it really depends on the area you live in. I believe that if my dog attacked a would be robber, animal control and police would overlook my dog biting them. Many of the people I train with are LEOs to begin with.

Think about how many GSDs are in the sport of Schunzthund. Those dogs are trained to bite on command. You don't hear of those dogs being put down because they protected their owner from an attack. I think many people would cry foul if one of these dogs were put down because a dog attacked a criminal on a walk.

Also, for those with CWP's, I think a non-lethal method of dealing with a would be robber would be the more "humane" method of dealing with those members of our society. Id rather my dog take a couple bullets than me taking a couple while im trying to fidget out a gun from under my shirt.

Surely, its sticky, but I'll let my dog do its work before I worry about the law.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Crowned Member

In the U.S., it's not so much an issue of what happens if your dog bites a bad guy or robber, it's more an issue of if your dog bites a neighbor kid who jumped into your yard to get his baseball, or your Great-Aunt Thelma who has dementia and stopped by for a surprise visit at 3 in the morning, or the person who was trying to visit your neighbor and accidentally ended up on your property by mistake.

In those situations, having a bite-trained dog would not only cause the dog to be euthanized, but could also result in criminal negligence charges for the owner as well.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 PM
hps

We (family) have gotten ourselves a personel protection GSD. To me its like carrying a pers. protection handgun, knowing how and when to use this protection is the key. Always have your cell phone and be the first to make the call to law enforcement is the KEY!! If the crimmnal makes the call first their gonna be lookin for the person with the BAD dog, If the person with the pers. pertection GSD is the first to call their gonna be looking for the crimnal with a chewed up arm or face that tried to rob or harm me or my family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page