Drug Detection Dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Drug Detection Dogs?

Do you have to be a police officer to get your dog this kind of training? I have seen dogs at the airports sniffing around for things like this. Say you get your dog professional training like the police dogs do, could you use your dog for service or must you be a police officer? I'm also referring to using your dog in public places like at stores or an airport not somewhere on the street where you would have to be a cop where it's something really serious like a bomb detection dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Knighted Member

I have no idea, but Josh and I joke that were gonna get Killian trained in this because when our 3 year old is old enough to bring boys home, Killian will be able to "check" them at the door! ;-) I'll be following this thread!!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Crowned Member

I know of no privately owned narc dogs. You would run into issues with all kind of stuff. What to do with anything you find. Material to train with, probable cause, etc.
There are privately owned explosive detection dogs, mostly with security companies. The Mall of America has a few.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours faithful and true~ to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantsWifey View Post
I have no idea, but Josh and I joke that were gonna get Killian trained in this because when our 3 year old is old enough to bring boys home, Killian will be able to "check" them at the door! ;-) I'll be following this thread!!
Just having Killian meet him at the door should do just fine. Doesn't hurt to be cleaning a shotgun, just sayin'

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours faithful and true~ to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~unknown
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandGunnar View Post
Just having Killian meet him at the door should do just fine. Doesn't hurt to be cleaning a shotgun, just sayin'
I can train Killian to do that too? AMAZING!!!! GSD's are SO FREAKING SMART!!!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Knighted Member

In the early 90's I started/co-owned a canine drug detection service with a retired police captain. We hired K-9 officers to train us and the dogs (so we could train our dogs in the future). We had to be certified by the DEA for the drugs to train with. BTW, it's very easy to train a good dog to do detection work.

This was back when it was new to the public (we did alot of school searches/presentations). Having said that, I have no idea how it works today as I sold my half of the business years ago when I moved out of state.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDAlphaMom View Post
In the early 90's I started/co-owned a canine drug detection service with a retired police captain. We hired K-9 officers to train us and the dogs (so we could train our dogs in the future). We had to be certified by the DEA for the drugs to train with. BTW, it's very easy to train a good dog to do detection work.

This was back when it was new to the public (we did alot of school searches/presentations). Having said that, I have no idea how it works today as I sold my half of the business years ago when I moved out of state.
See that's the thing, can't you just get titled with something allowing you to deal with this sort of stuff? Like minor things, even for schools that would be awesome. I wonder how it is nowadays..
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantsWifey View Post
That's funny Your dog is beautiful by the way, I saw the link on Pedigree Database! How old is he?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Crowned Member

See that's the thing, can't you just get titled with something allowing you to deal with this sort of stuff? Like minor things, even for schools that would be awesome. I wonder how it is nowadays..

No. The first thing you have to have is narcotics to train the dog. As a civilian you cannot possess that without a DEA license and that only allows you to have them. The head law enforcement entity in your area has to allow you to check them out of the crime lab and that is not going to be a possibility with no background in this. Private security companies work private contracts in schools for narcotic searches and contract bomb dogs as well. Searching for contraband is better left to those who are trained in it and know the law with regard to search and seizure etc. The dog must have rock solid nerves and over the top retrieve/hunt drive to be trained for any scent detection.
I hate to be discouraging,but unless you can be hired by a private company,find something else to do with your dog

Last edited by ladylaw203; 08-29-2011 at 06:58 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Crowned Member

Good luck convincing the DEA you need a drug license to train with those "minor things." Not easy to get and I wouldn't the responsibility to maintain the standards. And the DEA doesn't think the average Joe is responsible enough either.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page