K9 Police dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

K9 Police dog?

I was surprised today when walking my GSD past a "trained" Police K9...

My boy was well mannered and ignored the K9 pretty well but the K9 went ballistic!

Is this normal for a working dog??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Crowned Member

Is the dog certified?
Who trained/certified him?
Is he totally trained or in training?
Was he "in drive?"
How close were you?
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 12:22 AM

I have had the same thing happen to me and Jack when we were in the hardware store. Only difference was that it was a service dog in the store with a man in a wheelchair. It hunched down and began walking towards us with its head low, staring us down! Scared me, Jack barked, so we scurried away quickly. I was shocked that a service dog would act that way!

Amanda

Mom to Jack, 7-14-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 02:06 AM
Master Member

Heh, I remember going to the local big box petstore one day and there was an officer with his dog. He let him out of the car offleash to go potty and then the dog got back in and he drove off! He didn't even pick up after the dog :P That's really been my only experience with a police dog.

However, I've seen tons of ill behaved "Service dogs" ... perhaps they choose to act out while at pet stores, but I saw one wearing a vest accompanying a lady in a wheel chair pee on an aisle :/ I didn't have a dog with me so I offered to help her clean it up (since she wasn't going to be able to) but seriously? I've also seen service dogs growl at other dogs while working (even though the other dogs were not close to the SD).

Murdock, BH - GSD
Virgil, CGC - GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tara, Reagan, Madison, and Jefferson - Aussies
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 02:21 AM
Knighted Member

There is a Police K9 that lives on the block over from me. I was walking my dog past his house and he was loose in the front yard and he came charging at my dog! He scared the crap out of me, and I began pulling my dog into the street in an effort to get away from him. At the last second the officers wife saw him running toward us and called him….he turned right back around and went home.

*US Army Mom*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Only difference was that it was a service dog in the store with a man in a wheelchair.
Quote:
However, I've seen tons of ill behaved "Service dogs" ... perhaps they choose to act out while at pet stores, but I saw one wearing a vest accompanying a lady in a wheel chair pee on an aisle :/
Just because a PWD has a dog with them does not mean that the dog is a SD. People with disabilities also have pet dogs and since these were locations that allowed pets chances are very good that is just what they were, pets with a lack of training.

And if they were wearing a vest or other ID that stated SD that doesn't mean anything. People with or without a disability purchase vests online to drag their pets around claiming they are Service Dogs.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 03:38 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
Just because a PWD has a dog with them does not mean that the dog is a SD. People with disabilities also have pet dogs and since these were locations that allowed pets chances are very good that is just what they were, pets with a lack of training.

And if they were wearing a vest or other ID that stated SD that doesn't mean anything. People with or without a disability purchase vests online to drag their pets around claiming they are Service Dogs.
Every dog I've referred to as a SD had a vest stating it was a SD. Also, you're right, not every dog wearing such a vest is a legitimate service dog; however, one must assume unless told otherwise.

Murdock, BH - GSD
Virgil, CGC - GSD

Tara, Reagan, Madison, and Jefferson - Aussies
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Short View Post
I was surprised today when walking my GSD past a "trained" Police K9...

My boy was well mannered and ignored the K9 pretty well but the K9 went ballistic!

Is this normal for a working dog??
Where was the "trained" police K9? In his kennel, yard, police car? Not all police canine, are dog friendly. Was the handler there? It's not uncommon for a police dog (or many dogs for that matter) to be territorial. Just because a dog goes "ballistic" doesn't mean it isn't trained.

DFrost
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFrost View Post
Where was the "trained" police K9? In his kennel, yard, police car? Not all police canine, are dog friendly. Was the handler there? It's not uncommon for a police dog (or many dogs for that matter) to be territorial. Just because a dog goes "ballistic" doesn't mean it isn't trained.

DFrost
Exactly. Especially GSD's are territorial
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Knighted Member

My next door neighbors GSD police dog (now retired) is dog aggressive. Bosco loves people whether little or big. Nothing fazes him, except other dogs.
He came from Czechoslovakia at about 2 years old. He was a decorated officer and never acted on his aggression towards any other police dog.
He was trained enough and his handler/owner knew how to handle him.

He's an outside dog (he refused to live in the house) with a huge kennel and dog house. They have three kids and they wanted to get another dog. They adopted a 5 month old Jack Russell mix last year. With intense training, Bosco and Shamrock are best friends now. He absolutely loves Shamrock. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Linda
Amari's Gunner 9/14/08

Buddy (kitty) 8/15/07
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ I reject your reality and substitute my own ~ Adam Savage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page