Police K9 distracted by dog in backyard? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Police K9 distracted by dog in backyard?

At a party tonight, for whatever reason we started talking about police dogs. Someone had an unconfirmed story about a police K9 jumping a backyard fence while in pursuit of a guy. Apparently in the backyard was two goldens who apparently decided to attack the GSD. The question is if police K9s are trained for this situation, and what are they trained to do? Do they fight the attacking dog (I assume not) or do they continue the chase with another dog attacking them? I was curious if police K9s are trained to handle this situation. Certainly this could happen even if this particular story is untrue...

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Crowned Member

I don't really think they are trained for that sort of thing? I'm not sure what could simulate an attacking dog.

I IMAGINE it depends a bit on the individual dog...does the fight instince kick in or do they keep in the zone? I imagine even the best dog would fight back if attacked by 2 other dogs............

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Crowned Member

Yes it can certainly happen, our dept doesn't train the dogs in any way to handle this. If the dogs attack or otherwise get into a fight with the K9, most officers on our dept are going to shoot the other dog. Just how it is. I'm sure this will get heated but unfortunately that's just reality. Catching the bad guy trumps the pet dog in the backyard.

Let the police bashing begin. Just remember who comes running when you call 911.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Wow- fast response. Thanks Rerun! We are all surprised that they are not specifically trained for this. I imagine that could be difficult to train, not to mention dangerious for the dog to disregard an attacking third party threat.

Willy
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

How exactly would you train for this? Throw them in with some pit bulls in the ghetto? The last thing any working dog needs is to be made reactive by "testing" him with aggressive animals!

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well I am no trainer. I am sure one could devise a way to simulate this... I dunno.

Willy
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Crowned Member

There really isn't any way to train through any scenario you're going to encounter (and I'm speaking of this from a SAR point of view so the same general premise). You train in as many environments and distractions as possible without putting anyone in danger. They train with barking dogs most likely...and generally other dogs doing bitwork...and probably trained to calmy walk by a lunging dog. But as far as putting a dog into a dog fight simulation>>>>I see no way to safely do that.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Yes it can certainly happen, our dept doesn't train the dogs in any way to handle this. If the dogs attack or otherwise get into a fight with the K9, most officers on our dept are going to shoot the other dog. Just how it is. I'm sure this will get heated but unfortunately that's just reality. Catching the bad guy trumps the pet dog in the backyard.

Let the police bashing begin. Just remember who comes running when you call 911.
Devils advocate... What about respecting my property? I've broken up a lot of dog fights and never needed to injury any involved. Pepper spray would end a dog fight immediately, non-lethally, and cops carry it. Having it fresh in my mind here where a cop shot the gsd of a friend who called the police over a trespasser, cops are getting *way* to eager to pull the trigger. By all counts this dog wasn't barking or growling. Just approaching on the owners property.... After the owner told the policeman to remain in his car while the dog was kenneled. He is in trouble, being sued along with the city now.

If a cop walked in my home or on my property unannounced and shot my dogs with no warning, well in the heat of the moment he'd have to kill me too or face his own death, as he'd have just killed my whole family and who can take that calmly?

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:57 PM

If a police dog jumped into my yard for sure my dog would go after it. If the police officer then shot my dog while it was safely in my own yard so that a criminal who might have just stolen a car doesn't get away. Oh yes I think there might be some other action the officer can do. Like try to get his dog out of my yard. Wait to see if the fight breaks up. Maybe try to shoot in the leg so my dog wouldn't die. I have the utmost respect for the police and police dogs, but I would not be happy if my dog was killed in my own backyard. I think 911 is a great system we have, but that would be of no comfort to me if my dog was killed for doing what she is supposed to do protecting her house. Just my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Danielle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Crowned Member

I believe my property is my property and I will defend me and mine to the last. I respect police as long as they keep their ego in check and act within the confines of the law. Step outside of that and they aren't acting as a cop anymore, just someone threatening and infringing on my rights.

True story, roommate and I had to call the police ON THE POLICE 2 months ago. Guess what? we won. First 2 cops (one on duty one off duty or recently fired Cant get the clear answer on that) were out of line. Responding cop was honest. Police dept sided with us. Charges pending on one, other one suspended. Guy was lucky... It was 3am, I was woken up to him raising **** in the front yard. Made like he was gonna come through the door a few times. I was in my front hall, m4 in hand. Had he come through the door he'd have been dead before he hit the floor. I assume he was drunk but I'll never know

The point is, cops are people to, just as able to abuse power, go crazy, break the law, and more likely to feel the law doesn't apply.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page