Police & Female GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Police & Female GSD

Hi there,

Do the police/Military use female GSD's to chase down criminals, or do they only use males for that type of work?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 01:28 AM
Crowned Member

some departments use females. Its usually dependent on a bunch of things. I hope some of the people involved in police work will chime in and be able to better answer your question and explain the reasoning.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 07:01 AM

I have both male and female dogs doing police work. It's all in the selection of the dog. If selected properly, the only difference is the "plumbing". The only inequality, if you want to call it that; all females are spayed, as a rule, males are not neutered.

DFrost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Crowned Member

More and more agencies are starting to use females. The agency that I retired from was only using male dogs for many years, but because of the cost of and competition for good dogs, they are now starting to use females.
I think the trend to using females is really starting to pick up.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours faithful and true~ to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~unknown
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 03:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFrost View Post
I have both male and female dogs doing police work. It's all in the selection of the dog. If selected properly, the only difference is the "plumbing". The only inequality, if you want to call it that; all females are spayed, as a rule, males are not neutered.

DFrost
Does the difference in average size make any difference?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Does the difference in average size make any difference?
No. The primary role of a PSD is one of detection/location. Beyond the primary role the dog needs to pursue, engage, and remain engaged until commanded to do something different. Anything beyond sinking the teeth to the gum line and remaining engaged until called off, in my opinion, is nothing more than "mine is bigger than yours'".

DFrost
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:16 AM

My military time ended over 20yrs ago. With that said back then we did use many females, in all areas including Sentry work on missle sites around the world. Many of the people I worked with had females in patrole cars, bomb and narcotic detection. Can't see any reason this would have changed.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Elite Member

I think it depends on the agency. My two police agencies (Maryland State and Anne Arundel) only use intact males. I have inquired before out of my own curiousity. Now, our fire department uses a female GSD and a female Black Lab for arson detection.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Master Member

One of the best K9 dogs our local department ever had was a long-haired female GSD.

I see far more males involved in this line of work but there are females too.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Do the police/Military use female GSD's to chase down criminals, or do they only use males for that type of work?
Most places I have been, I have seen much more males than females. However, our kennel on base currently has about a 50-50 mix of males and females. I was surprised to see just how many females they have.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page