anyone here go to personal protection classes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

anyone here go to personal protection classes

was just wondering after civil work if the decoy acts non threatening submissssive passive to your dog how does your dog react ?

as soon as a decoy puts down the stick and takes down his threat act and doesnt make eye contact my girl will be okay with him and neutral may even sniff him and alllow him to be around her and not even care if he touches her this is work with no equipment no slleev no nothing just a man and a stick but if he gets threatening and trys to attack she will nail him if he abortss attack and backs out she is cool with him, by attack i dont mean make contact with her or even touch her it can be eye contact or any kidn of threatening act dont even have to touch her.

is thiss common with pp dogs? means sshe is very stable and will fight only when the person wants it? defensive not offensive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 03:57 PM

This falls under how majority of the dogs i have owned in the past that were PPD's have been trained and how my new girl will be trained. You should be able to approach the dog and pet the dog, talk to me shake hands anything non violent without as much as a flinched from the dog. If you give the command to attack an aggressor she should, but if you recall him or her (even if the dog was to actually have attacked the aggressor) they should have enough composure for that aggressor to walk up and pet the dog like nothing happened. The dog should attack only when prompted, stop when prompted and be balanced enough to remain calm afterwards.
I have had one dog that was like this but would still attack even though he was not directed too. The dog was a rottie my uncle was walking him ( jake) a man basically jumped my uncle, my uncle didnt know the attack command, my uncle was always around jake played with him all the time, My uncle was on the ground jake put himself between my uncle and the attacker poised to strike but didnt growl or show teeth as my uncle recalled. but when the man lunged at my uncle again to attack him, jake returned the favor and tore up his leg, hands and arms pretty badly. There is no telling what the intent of the attacker was he had a knife on him when the cops searched him before they arrested him. We had 2 rotties at the time, Jake and Sasha were mine and were at my grandpas car shop all the time with us.

-Robbie-
K9 Adel- 6 year old GSD, Gustav- 7 year old Mastiff, Hannah- 12 year old Boston Terrier
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

attacks happen by suprise u will go into shock or terror that is why mosst ppd will work without a command well as long as u are bonded to them that is

when decoy threaten my dog i am starting to use a command but command or not sshe will sstill fight an advancing threat she doesnt know the command yet it will take her a month or so to understand its meaning for now she just relys on instinct.
\\

i think in her eyes if i am wrong say so but she sees a man who threatens her she may think "ok so u wanna fight lets fight" but when he backss out acts passive she may think ok so u dont want to fight you are okay then

i could be wrong though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:17 PM

Im confused, what exactly are you asking?

Nick

Jag.. Jukk Last Van Hauser GSD, K-9
Sable..Dutch Shepherd, Explosives Detection Dog
Arko.. Bane VanDerHaus Bildtunderschrift GSD
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

wil in pp training if it was common for trainers to let the decoy pet the dog after training
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Oh ok, Im not sure, plenty of people should chime in here with some better answers for you. IMO, I would think they would let them as it would show wether the dog knows the difference in the intentions of the agressor.

Nick

Jag.. Jukk Last Van Hauser GSD, K-9
Sable..Dutch Shepherd, Explosives Detection Dog
Arko.. Bane VanDerHaus Bildtunderschrift GSD
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
attacks happen by suprise u will go into shock or terror that is why mosst ppd will work without a command well as long as u are bonded to them that is

when decoy threaten my dog i am starting to use a command but command or not sshe will sstill fight an advancing threat she doesnt know the command yet it will take her a month or so to understand its meaning for now she just relys on instinct.
\\

i think in her eyes if i am wrong say so but she sees a man who threatens her she may think "ok so u wanna fight lets fight" but when he backss out acts passive she may think ok so u dont want to fight you are okay then

i could be wrong though
I agree with you. In my opinion after commanded to attack or they attack on their own in your defense and the threat is not a threat anymore They should have the balance to be approached. Give me a few ill link a video from a trainer whos style I really like.

-Robbie-
K9 Adel- 6 year old GSD, Gustav- 7 year old Mastiff, Hannah- 12 year old Boston Terrier
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:23 PM

Please note I am not a trainer I havent been around the block with the GSD breed. I grew up raising Brittany's, Australian cattle dogs, and other working dogs. The instinct to protect their loved ones and be a vital part of the family transcends to other breeds that normally are not known to be an aggressive protection dog.

I happened across this trainers youtube channel and webpage through a friend of mine a police k9 handler. I like alot of the things they are doing to train their dogs and their handlers. Anywho heres the links I wanted to share. and I would also love anyone elses opinions. Sorry to the OP if Im cluttering your thread I will start another. But this video seems to be inline with your original post.

YouTube - k91dogtraining's Channel

http://youtu.be/Jb0cxrawMXc

-Robbie-
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

overactor are u going to start pp training wsith your current gsds also? gonna look at that link right now.

the classes i am in now uses prey as the reward it is pure personal protection no cross training in sport that a lot of trainers do which i kinda like cause it makes it more fun for the dog but my pp trainer says that will get in the way of training.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

thanks for the links overactor yeah they are exactly what my topic is about!

i love the act the decoys put on when they are playing the "bad man" part rofl

but that mal took too much agitation if someone acted like that my dog will go off but i want to keep it that way i dont want my girl to be a muppet but the mal was probably trained like that for a special purpose/reason. Might be going into areass where people are loud and yelling a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page