NATGEO ; Alaskan State Troopers and a GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

NATGEO ; Alaskan State Troopers and a GSD

I watched an episode of AST ( a reality type COPS show ) on Natgeo last night and there was an interesting scene in it which some of you might have seen. The K9 cop stops an SUV and he has his GSD with him. The GSD is in full leather harness etc but off lead and is put into a STAY DOWN . K9 Trooper is joined by another trooper and as the perp is known to be armed and dangerous, the troopers draw their guns and advance towards the rear of the truck. All the while the dog is barking incessantly and the trooper has to continually say STAY DOWN as the dog keeps half getting up, incing forward and then dropping when he repeats the command.

Now.....I know 0 about this sort of dog training but the Trooper(s) were in a pretty hairy situation and the dog was definitely taking away the K9 troopers attention momentarily on several occasions as he had to keep looking back at the dog.

When it came time to haul the guy out of the truck, one of the troopers had to holster his gun and swap to a taser and the K9 guy then grabbed the dog by the agitation handle or whatever the harness handle is called as they both went in but it looked more like he did it to stop the dog from disobeying the STAY than anything !!

Is this standard for a police dog ? I just would have thought they wold have an EXCELLENT stay and possibly shut the **** up so everyone concentrate and the perp not get riled up ?

To me it really looked like the dog was not fully under control ??

Anyone seen this episode ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GSD Karma (f) born 29.5.2010 passed 22.12.11
GSD Jirra (f) born 27.12.11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 05:17 AM
Crowned Member

Departments are all different and deploy the dogs differently. did not see the episode. I will have to look
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 06:09 AM

most dogs do very well under standard training circumstances. How would you expect your dog to act if they were say, completing a Schutzhund trial but there were people distracting your attention from controling your dog and they were agitating your dog and attempting to get your dog to fail his schutzhund trial while it was being cunducted. police and protection k9 is very different from standard obedience and Schutzhund.

I used to be a member on this forum. But decided to delete my account due to two individuals attacking me needlessly
wanna see why go here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JOSHUA SAMPSON; 03-18-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Crowned Member

FYI that was a Malinois
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Knighted Member

I've learned that real life working dogs are not at all what I'd expect them to be... Kind of disappointing but reaffirming at the same time.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 01:53 PM

Yes, I saw this episode. It was a Malanois for sure. And yes, the dog was not well trained at all. He should not have even had the dog out. He should have left it in the vehicle, and called it if needed. Poor handling and a very untrained K9. JMO

Nick

Jag.. Jukk Last Van Hauser GSD, K-9
Sable..Dutch Shepherd, Explosives Detection Dog
Arko.. Bane VanDerHaus Bildtunderschrift GSD
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Crowned Member

Knowing nothing at all about K9 dogs....I would have thought that the sound of a large barking dog would be a deterant to the perps. They would want to obey the officers to a 't' ...to avoid creating a situation where the dog might misunderstand their body movement.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Ah I thought maybe malinois but I only know the breed from teading about them here ! I have never seen one before but when I saw that dark chest fur aNd face I thought "hmmmm malinois ? " YAY me !

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Knowing nothing at all about K9 dogs....I would have thought that the sound of a large barking dog would be a deterant to the perps. They would want to obey the officers to a 't' ...to avoid creating a situation where the dog might misunderstand their body movement.
This dude was inside his truck with hiS back to the cops aNd dog , had a 44 handgun in his lap , was suicidal and had someone (mother of his gf ) next to him trying to talk him out of blowing his brains out . Not sure a barking dog was helping his thought pRocess !!!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Master Member

I'm thinking being filmed for a reality TV show didn't make for a calm atmosphere either....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page