Bloodlines on actual Working Police K-9's - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Bloodlines on actual Working Police K-9's

What bloodlines do you normally see on working police K-9's? I know this is a big question since - what is normal? However realistically I would think that there would be certain things one might notice time and again. For example:

1) Where do most of the police K-'s trace back to? West German working lines? DDR dogs? Czech dogs? Belgian? Etc....

2) What specific animals do you tend to see over and over? Asko Lutter? Troll Nachbarschaft? Grim Pohrinicini Straze? etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Crowned Member

I don't really think there is much consistency in this considering the wide variety of dogs I've seen in PD's.

Obviously there are certain lines or dogs that I'm sure people think are better fits for the job, but that opinion can vary widely.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Elite Member

There is no consistency. Police K9s can be Czech, German working, German show, Dutch, European no-papers, mali-GSDx, or American backyard bred or well-bred American working lines. It just depends one where they got their dog from and where their broker picked up their K9 prospects.

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Knighted Member

yes it is the individual dogs known for it i think u have to talk to people who are police canine trainers and breeders who produce for k9 units and personal protection

a lot of these dogs come from certain shutzund lines it seems but not just any lines they have to be the right one find someone u trust there are smart people on these boards that can help u

i have a leerburg protection video for fun to see i always thought czech dogs were the k9s but oh boy after watching some of those west german dogs can really kick ass
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 12:38 PM

Alot of German imports are used in police work they arent cheap and most and do almost every one is KV. Temperment is of the most importance you will almost never see a show dog or its lines used in police work as drive is the second most important, and as far as any dog off the street please. Most people do not want a true working GSD as they tend to be the more dominant, independent, with extreemly high drive and require a handler with dedication, and understanding of GSD behavior, they must be taught respect from an early age and most people just dont have the time or patients to give them the work or exercise needed. You will find American breeders which breed actual German line GSDs for this sole purpose. If you want a good working dog do not look for a show dog, and talk to Schutzhund clubs, and local police departments.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Crowned Member

post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Nice, and enough said not just any dog off the street.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Crowned Member

I heard somewhere have no idea if it is true that New York state doesn't buy their dogs-they go to the shelters or get donations. But depending on what the task is dogs from the shelters could be used
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Crowned Member

I think there a few Brawnson sons doing police work now.

I had a son of Grim z Pohraninci straze who was a retired dual purpose K9. Active, stable and willing to work at 12 years old.
I also have seen a very nice W German Showline, son of Fedor vom Batu on a department.

Several of the smaller departments in my area seem to have whatever they can find... from shelters or local breeders. I have never seen the dogs work so cannot speak to that.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Crowned Member

Most of theGerman Shepherd police service dogs are imported European working lines. American show lines are very rarely used. West German high dogs are used, West German working lines, Czech etc
A large portion of police service dogs are imported Mals and Dutchies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page