Police Dog Drop Out? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Police Dog Drop Out?

I was browsing a few websites and came across one that had a dog listed as "Police dog drop out".
Apart from any kind of physical issues, what are some of the reasons why a dog might drop out of a police training program?

Here's the link to the dog dubbed a "drop out",

Companion Dogs

=) He sure is a handsome fella.

Madeline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:07 AM

There are too many reasons a GSD can be washed out of police training.

No protection drive. Nerves. Too sharp. Injury. etc.

I would contact them and ask why he didn't make it.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Crowned Member

Could be a number of reasons

May not have enough drive to do work, may not have strong enough nerves, solid temperament, etc..

Dogs not cut out for K9 work could still be great sport dogs. I would not say they are suitable for a "pet" home.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

0.0 Ah, thank you, good advice from you both! I just wanted to have a general idea about what might cause a dog to drop out -- I will see if I can contact them to ask directly.

I wish they would add even a sentence of information about him, though. =/ Just judging by the picture alone he looks like a nice dog, and I think a member or two may have a dog from Connecticut Canine Services, but don't quote me on that.

I'll try to get an email out on Monday maybe.

Madeline
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:28 AM

I still kick myself for not adopting a police shepherd washout that a friend brought to the flying field(radio control planes). I was living in an apartment at the time with a no dog policy. I worked with the foster for a week with her before she was adopted. She had the best obedience I had ever seen before that time. You could put her into a down on a table, leave the area, and she wouldn't move until released. She really wanted to please her handler. She washed out because she wouldn't bite and would accept commands from just about anybody. She was adopted by a family that had her for 12 years and they still rave about her.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Banned

I love how when i clicked "more info" on one of the personal protection dogs, on the next page it said "ask a question about this product"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
I love how when i clicked "more info" on one of the personal protection dogs, on the next page it said "ask a question about this product"
Probably just means they're using a generic website builder.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
Yeah I saw that too, and definitely took that the wrong way for a few seconds before I realized it was probably just the standard format of the website builder they used, like Emoore said.

Awww, Pache11 that's good to hear! I'm glad the family she ended up with loved her so much. Maybe this guy will be like the dog you described? An email is definitely going out Monday.

I'm curious though, if dogs that are police drop outs can adjust to an active pet home fairly well. Does anyone else know of a police dog drop out who might've gone to an active pet home?

Madeline
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Crowned Member

You know.... many Police K9's live with their partner(s) and their family....including children.

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
You know.... many Police K9's live with their partner(s) and their family....including children.
o_o wow. I feel kinda dumb for not realizing that.
Never mind about the above question then, ^^"" erm...

I've only met, well, knew of one police dog, and he lived in the basement of my friend's house during 5th grade (his grandfather was a retired cop). They called him Fax, and he used to bark constantly, and it was the kind of scary booming bark that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Of course, all that barking came from behind the door to the basement, and not seeing and just hearing Fax made him scarier than he was.

=/ I never did get the chance to meet him.

Madeline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page