Best Place For A Working Dog Pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Best Place For A Working Dog Pup

Hi,
I have a 8 week old male puppy named "Rip" and he is going to be a working dog(protection and tracking).
I wanted to knowis keeping him in a kennel better than keeping him outside or letting him rome the house?
Whats some good toys for him to play with?
Whats are some tips i could use to keep his drive up and make him good at protection training?
Any advice would help alot, Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Master Member

If you are training for protection (real protection, not schutzhund), then a kenneled dog is useless. Not only in a physical sense, as the dog will not be able to get to you if you need him, but in the sense that a dog who is stuck out in a kennel is NOT forming the extremely close, and supremely important bond that these dogs must have with their handlers to be effective. It is the BOND that ultimately drives these dogs to be effective protectors; all other drives are secondary to this.

Tips? Socialize the snot out of him. A protection dog should be exposed to absolutely anything and everything. They must be able to handle ALL situations with confidence and stability, and learn how to handle day-to-day life situations. Spend this time exposing him to the world, as this will be far more useful than anything else you can train with him at this point.

As for toys, I recommend a Kong, a nice tug toy/rope, and some bully sticks to keep him occupied.

GSDs- Mulder, Ridley, Vega
GSD on the half shell- Rigel
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atravis View Post
If you are training for protection (real protection, not schutzhund), then a kenneled dog is useless. Not only in a physical sense, as the dog will not be able to get to you if you need him, but in the sense that a dog who is stuck out in a kennel is NOT forming the extremely close, and supremely important bond that these dogs must have with their handlers to be effective. It is the BOND that ultimately drives these dogs to be effective protectors; all other drives are secondary to this.

sorry but that is totally NOT true. We keep police k9s outside here so they acclimate to the heat and humidity in order to work effectively in it. TRAINING creates the dog who "protects" on command or reacts to a certain situation. THey bond just fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 AM

Yes but Im assuming this doing is going to be used for pp and therefore should be in the house for this purpose...I also think that the dog should spend plenty of time in the house for optimal time to bond. Im not disagreeing that they cant bond well in a kennel but dont necessarily see the point of it in this case.

"Miles to go before I sleep" - Robert Frost
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylaw203 View Post
sorry but that is totally NOT true. We keep police k9s outside here so they acclimate to the heat and humidity in order to work effectively in it. TRAINING creates the dog who "protects" on command or reacts to a certain situation. THey bond just fine
I think GoSearch is talking about family protection. How can the dog protect the family if the dog is kenneled and the family is in the house?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Master Member

A K9 and a personal protection dog are different.

A PPD's primary focus at all times should be the handler, and working in defense of the handler.

I imagine if a K9 was ONLY concerned about his handler, then he would be a pretty ineffective K9.

GSDs- Mulder, Ridley, Vega
GSD on the half shell- Rigel
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marines02 View Post
Hi,
I have a 8 week old male puppy named "Rip" and he is going to be a working dog(protection and tracking).
I wanted to knowis keeping him in a kennel better than keeping him outside or letting him rome the house?
Whats some good toys for him to play with?
Whats are some tips i could use to keep his drive up and make him good at protection training?
Any advice would help alot, Thanks!
I am reading kennel as crate. In the house.

A crate is great for a puppy - any puppy - because they are like little kids putting their mouths on everything!

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 10:35 AM

I guess I was assuming that when the OP put outside that it meant kenneled outside?!? But yes agree that a puppy should definetly be crate trained! All of my dogs have crates! And if they dont require staying in one while I am gone the door is always open so they have the option of going in

"Miles to go before I sleep" - Robert Frost
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atravis View Post
A K9 and a personal protection dog are different.

A PPD's primary focus at all times should be the handler, and working in defense of the handler.

I imagine if a K9 was ONLY concerned about his handler, then he would be a pretty ineffective K9.
I was addressing the bonding issue. You will find few bonds greater than we have with our police k9s who work with us. That bond is as strong as any. The bond has nothing to do with location.
PPD is not magic. The dog is trained using the same methods as we do.
I also do NOT reccomend a true PPD for anyone. Few folks truly have the time to maintain the training on the dog and the dog can be a liability. Some insurance companies will not write home owners too. A well bred GSD will provide adequate protection naturally.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 01:52 PM

Regardless of your intentions for the pups training in the future...you have an 8 week old puppy. DO NOT let it roam around outside- even in a fenced backyard. If you leave it loose in your house you will not have much of a house to come home to. Neither one of those options is particularly good when it comes to raising a puppy.

A crate in the house is your best bet. Please understand that your puppy will probably not start protection training in earnest until he is almost a year old. He has to be mentally mature enough to understand the training. I agree that socializing the puppy to different environments is a good way to go. You want your adult dog to make concious decisions from a place of confidence, not reactions to fear. So you encourage him to be confident and happy in situations. A puppy like that should be pretty sure he can take on the world. An undersocialized dog trained in aggression is a liability.

I agree with Renee also. Almost no one needs a true PPD. Seriously consider what you are looking for. You will HAVE to get with a trainer. That trainer will be able to help you in building your puppy up in the right way.

All kinds of toys are good. However I prefer things that are durable.

Leerburg is a good place to start for info on working dogs.
Questions & Answers on Raising a Working Puppy
erady09 likes this.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page