How Can A...? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

How Can A...?

This is a comment made on Facebook by Command Control K9 (Protection Dogs - Guard Dogs - Security Dogs for sale), now I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but from what I've learned on this site, it's kind of unusual for a show-line GSD to be a Personal Protection Dog.

Quote:
Show line German shepherd, Santo CCK9 most recent delivery. After a very long 12-hour trip we finally made it to Burbank, California. Santo was everything that our client was expecting; He acclimated very well into such a busy household, Santo is one example of the top quality of personal protection dogs that we deliver to all of our clients. It is deliveries like this that make my job so rewarding, and to know that Santo will protect his family 100% as a true Protection Dog.
There was a picture included at the bottom of the post, but I didn't think I needed to post it. It was just of the dog being petted by the happy family/couple who bought him.

My question is this; can a show-line German Shepherd be a good Personal Protection Dog?

The comment came from a site my Dad seems to particularly like, and I wouldn't mind a little feedback from all you savvy people to help determine if they're worth going with. I've been getting a lot of good suggestions over the week as to other people we should go with, but I think just me alone is going to be a little hard to convince my Dad to look at some other sites. (He's seen a few that were suggested to me, but he doesn't really seem 'on board' with them quite yet) If you do find anything wrong with the site, please let me know! Again, trying to avoid as many mistakes as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Crowned Member

Showlines tend to be softer and the temperament is not as predictable(generalizing) because they aren't bred to work but do the conformation type training.
Some kennels do have showlines that are of "working" temperament and they are herding lines usually(Kirschental) and the temperament is a bit harder.
I wouldn't discriminate that a showline will NOT be of Personal protection potential, it really depends on the breeding and lines.
The odds of getting a dog for PP is greater with a good working line, however and the temperament is sound if you go with a knowledgable, reputable breeder.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Crowned Member

My friend does German Showline dogs, and several are police dogs. Yes, they can work. (Just don't let the working line people hear about it -- they like to think they are the only ones who can.)

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Showlines tend to be softer and the temperament is not as predictable(generalizing) because they aren't bred to work but do the conformation type training.
Some kennels do have showlines that are of "working" temperament and they are herding lines usually(Kirschental) and the temperament is a bit harder.
I wouldn't discriminate that a showline will NOT be of Personal protection potential, it really depends on the breeding and lines.
The odds of getting a dog for PP is greater with a good working line, however and the temperament is sound if you go with a knowledgable, reputable breeder.
Thanks for the insight! ^^ That's all I wanted to know. I've still got so much to learn about the different lines for GSDs.

Quote:
My friend does German Showline dogs, and several are police dogs. Yes, they can work. (Just don't let the working line people hear about it -- they like to think they are the only ones who can.)
And thanks Selzer! It hadn't occurred to me that German Showline dogs could be police dogs too.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 01:39 AM
Crowned Member

In general, the showline dogs don't have as much drive as the workingline dogs, but there are exceptions. It wouldn't surprise me to find some showline dogs working for a living.

Elaine and the herd
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:29 PM

My impression of a lot of "personal protection" dogs is; they are generally nervy, fear biters, trained with some serious avoidance. Just because a dog barks, displays aggression etc doesn't make it a dog that would protect someone when the fit hits the shan.

DFrost
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I saw a Labrador that would pass any police certification test that could be presented. I think most have seen the "police trained" JRT. That you tube was around quite a while. While it may on rare occasion happen, you don't see to many professional police trainers looking for showline dogs.

DFrost
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Crowned Member

Yes...Show lines are capable & are being used by Police depts as Certified Police K9's. We have several that have been certified as such, and are currently working the streets of Illinois.
Is it the "norm"?....it hasn't been for many years. *Hopefully things are slowly changing.*
Robin

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
Yes...Show lines are capable & are being used by Police depts as Certified Police K9's. We have several that have been certified as such, and are currently working the streets of Illinois.
Is it the "norm"?....it hasn't been for many years. *Hopefully things are slowly changing.*
Robin
It certainly isn't the norm. It isn't the norm in single purpose either. The lack of quality dogs in the U.S both working and show is the primary reason the majority of dogs used in law enforcement and the military are imported.

DFrost
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Elite Member

I believe so. When I visited my breeders house she had many photographs of police with K9's from their breeding program, all showline German Shepherds. Most (if not all) the police dogs I've seen have been showline. I believe they can be good personal protection dogs (my pups brother is being trained to be one for a family and is excelling).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page