Are most police dogs male? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Are most police dogs male?

I have always wondered this. If so, why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Miikkas mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post

There is a K9 officer that lives right down there street. His dog is a female - not a GSD though. I believe it's a maloise(? spelling).

Momma to:
Miikka, 2-year old F Black & Red WGSL
Scout, 5 year F calico cat

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bella, 15 yr old GSD/Chow chow mix
Annie, 16 yr old Black Cocker Spaniel
Socks, 15 yr old Tuxedo cat
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Yes, most, but certainly not all, are male. As far as why.. males are larger and stronger (and thus more intimidating), the temperament traits needed for patrol work are more commonly found in males, males don't go through heat cycles which can interfere with training and work, and frankly there is pretty commonly a certain degree of macho factor involved in police and military work which equates to a good number of departments, trainers and handlers being more drawn to males just because they are perceived as being more manly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Crowned Member

Might the females with the criteria desired be held back for breeding, and thus not hitting the streets?
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
I would guess for several reasons: not having to deal with heat cycles; males tend to be large, more masculine, and thus more menacing; I've heard some people say that in their experience males tend to show more power and courage in their work, and females can be more of a challenge because they tend to be less forgiving of handler mistakes. I'm not sure if these generalizations are true. I prefer males but couldn't really tell you why.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Miikkas mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Might the females with the criteria desired be held back for breeding, and thus not hitting the streets?
Actually, thatís very possible. The K9 officer that lives near us has more than one dog. I just heard through the grapevine that the dog was a female, but who knows (I dont know the guy personally). When I take walks weíll walk past his house. I know when heís home w/the dogs because his K9 vehicle (a big Suburban) is parked out front of his house. He lives on a corner lot so I can peek into his backyard and see the kennels. There are sometimes 3 or 4 dogs back there.

Momma to:
Miikka, 2-year old F Black & Red WGSL
Scout, 5 year F calico cat

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:

Bella, 15 yr old GSD/Chow chow mix
Annie, 16 yr old Black Cocker Spaniel
Socks, 15 yr old Tuxedo cat
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Crowned Member

all the ones i've seen are males but i know one of the PD back home accepts only females into their K9 programs. But the females they accept are pretty well built like males too but more fierce. Its a preference thing but most prefer males for easier handling and no heat cycles lol.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Elite Member

All the K9 dogs here in Colorado Springs are male. The Sheriff's office got their 3 males from the same breeder and the city 9 teams all of which consists of males.

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

Waiting at the Bridge: Samurai and Beausox
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitonsDad View Post
All the K9 dogs here in Colorado Springs are male. The Sheriff's office got their 3 males from the same breeder and the city 9 teams all of which consists of males.

OMG!!! How is Co Spgs? I miss home so much!!!! One of the PD in Denver i believe is the one with all females. Not for sure. Its been a couple years since i knew for sure. they may have gotten some males.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Crowned Member

I am not sure abour LAPD, but I am pretty sure most are males after looking at their site. The guy around the block from is a Police Officer and has a male GSD(I heard he was a police officer) Someone near my college has a police dog, not sure the breed or the gender, I know they have one is because they have th police car in the drive way and it says "K9 Keep Away"

My friend has 2 police officers near who have trained police dogs, I believe they are GSDs also. I can see why Police Deparments prefer males over females. No heat cycles more macho looking.

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page