Police Force Train Dogs to Headbutt? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Police Force Train Dogs to Headbutt?

Can they really be serious? I hope it's a hoax but this article looks legit. Wow. And since when is a Mal stronger or more agile than a GSD? Check out the link for the whole article.

Police Force Train Dogs to Headbutt | K9 Magazine

"Police Force Train Dogs to Headbutt

You really couldn’t make it up… a Welsh police force is training its dogs to headbutt criminals rather than bite them, because politically correct – ‘PC’ – bosses are afraid that allowing the dogs to bite criminals will infringe their human rights! . . ."

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Knighted Member

Crazy....
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to ba1614
Good grief, this "PC" "BS", has gone waaaaaay to far with no signs of slowing. Interesting that it coincides with hardly any personal responsibility remaining in our cultures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Elite Member

Not 100% but my huhsband was speaking to a cop about were to go to train for ScHc. And it came around about Malinos (sp?) He said they are swithcing to him because they are more heat tolernt. And because there desrret dogs they can work a lot longer in the oklahoma heat. But I have no idea hw true that is. Its notthat stronger/faster but maybe its because there not so hot natured?

~Christen
REBEL~PIT BULL
BATISTA~SHAR PEI
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 04:40 AM
Crowned Member

It would not surprise me. They already put booties on their dogs when searching a mosque for bombs so as not to offend. Whatever. I will check with my friends over there
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

The people who came up with this are clearly idiots, imo.

I'm actually more worried about the dogs. Structurally speaking, a dog's neck is far stronger than a human's but that's in up-down, left-right movements. In compression, I doubt a dog's neck and upper spinal column is any stronger than a human's and I think they are going to start seeing dogs getting injured.

Jim
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 AM

Crazy

The idea of head butting is crazy, what is this world coming to.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDMan View Post
And since when is a Mal stronger or more agile than a GSD?
I agree that a Malinois is more agile, but stronger? I think it depends on the individual dog. A Malinois definitely has more speed and maneuverability over a gsd in my opinion.

As a whole I would venture to say that since the GSD is bigger boned with a bigger head, they would be stronger, I assume stronger is referring to bite. Again, it depends on the dog.

Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 11:10 AM

My old dog is malinois and GSD always looked more malinois to me but a little heavier boned than the pure breds. He was extremely easy to train but would get depressed like I hurt his feelings if I corrected him to hard. Before I got my GSD pup I was looking for mals and I nearly adopted an 11month old purebred female. She was simply too much for my wife and kids and I had to take her back to her owner. Extremely high drive but she also wasn't really well socialized and a dog like that can be scary without the right socialization at a young age.

I don't know if mals are stronger than GSD's but I would agree that they are more agile and quicker to react.

I am no expert though so would be interesting to read someones thoughts who knows more.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Master Member

If they do that, we wouldn't have any more fun videos like this:

K9 Takedown

(Note the gun that goes flying, up in the upper left corner of the screen.)

"What's there to dominate when your dog is well trained and it does what you ask??" - DoggieDad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page