Adopting a military police dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to My GSD Send a message via Yahoo to My GSD Send a message via Skype™ to My GSD
Adopting a military police dog

Does anyone know more on this? Is there certain requirements? Like can just anyone apply to get, as I saw a story but one who adopted a dog was a marine seg.

I thought I would ask in this section, and if no replies I'll post it in the general section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 PM

Well depending on where the dog is coming from and what they are trained in there will likley be a few requirements. As the military views the dogs as property and not companions some dogs have had multiple handlers and may be a little bit of a handful.

Dogs:
Akira-7-8 y/o Mutt
Munchkin-N/A y/o Sh-it-zu
Reno-2yr old GSD GOOFBALL
Persephone-16 month old GSD TERROR
Orcan-waiting for me at the bridge
Cats:
Mitzie- 1 y/o spoiled brat
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Crowned Member

Here's a link http://www.militaryworkingdogadoptions.com/ - since a new law was passed civilians can adopt these dogs - this site explains the process step by step. Your dog will love this link - it has "sound effects".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to My GSD Send a message via Yahoo to My GSD Send a message via Skype™ to My GSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Here's a link http://www.militaryworkingdogadoptions.com/ - since a new law was passed civilians can adopt these dogs - this site explains the process step by step. Your dog will love this link - it has "sound effects".
Thank you!

And this is exactly the site I was looking at, but I was quite confused. I would love one but as they might be retiree's I won't be able to do schutzhund. As I am guessing they might be old. I read some might suffer from illnesses down the road as they were worked hard... What do you guys think? And thanks again
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Man is this such a good looking GSD police dog over in Germany.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:15 PM

Do your research on where the dog has been if you can get it. The dogs are worked VERY hard depending on where they are coming from. If they are coming from overseas they will likley be trained as bomb dogs and they are puprosly trained docile, but will be relativly high drive. Most will be retired as I said before the military looks as them as property. I just read a story the other day from some soldiers who when leaving wanted to keep the dogs but were not allowed and they had to pass their dogs to the next one coming in. I felt sorry for the dogs because of all the flipping and working they are doing.

Dogs:
Akira-7-8 y/o Mutt
Munchkin-N/A y/o Sh-it-zu
Reno-2yr old GSD GOOFBALL
Persephone-16 month old GSD TERROR
Orcan-waiting for me at the bridge
Cats:
Mitzie- 1 y/o spoiled brat
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Crowned Member

You're actually posting in the wrong category - this should be in the Military Working Dog section, which is the forum right below this one in the main forum view.

The Military Working Dog Adoptions website linked above has a lot of information and is written by a civilian who has adopted one of these dogs, so it should have all the information you need to get started pursuing MWD adoption yourself.

Dogs that are available for adoption usually fall into one of two categories - the first, and more common category are dogs that are being retired due to the fact that their age or health no longer allows them to continue working. This is the majority of dogs. The second, smaller category, consists of dogs that are young but were either found unsuitable during initial training or found to be unhealthy - like the 2 year old female listed on Lackland's adoption page right now, due to Degenerative Lumbo-Sacral Stenosis.

And you're quite right - it is highly unlikely that the dogs that are adopted out are suitable to pursue a performance sport such as Schutzhund. If the dogs could work, they would be sold to Law Enforcement before they would consider adopting them out into retirement homes.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Sorry about the wrong section

And yeah, I am in general a very active person but this is going to be my first GSD so I am imagining this will be too much of a dog for me. I suppose I have nothing to lose by applying.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
And yeah, I am in general a very active person but this is going to be my first GSD so I am imagining this will be too much of a dog for me. I suppose I have nothing to lose by applying.
I don't think a retired MWD would be "too much dog" for you, as most of them are old and ready to live out their remaining months or years in comfort and in a good home. Most will have a fair amount of prey drive for those balls and other toys, some more than others.

I would definitely go ahead and apply. Do be aware that they give priority for adoption to former handlers, and about 90% of dogs are adopted by their handlers. The ones that are left usually have fairly long waiting lists for them (Lackland AFB says to expect about 6 months or more from the time you submit an application).

Lackland AFB's website is Lackland Air Force Base - 341st MWD

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Banned

if you think a Military Dog is going
to be to much for you to handle
why apply for one???

Quote:
Originally Posted by My GSD View Post
Sorry about the wrong section

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page