PPD Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

PPD Question

Many people have (or desire) a dog that can be used for personal protection, many others bring up the issue of the liability of owning such a dog. So this begs the question, under what circumstances is a homeowner justified under the law to use a dog in this respect?

Is the use of a dog trained in civil protection only justified when there is an active threat of bodily harm? How about a person breaking into your home? What if that person is unarmed? Intoxicated and/or confused?

Is the use of such a dog justified in apprehending a person fleeing after having committed a crime at your residence?

So the question is: When can a civil protection dog be used against a person that is, with intent, committing, or attempting to commit, a crime against your person or property.

I think this may be good for some people who are looking for or already own a PPD to think about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Crowned Member

Re: PPD Question

As I know nothing about PPD the only logical thought to me would be the PPD would be considered much like use of a gun perhaps?

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Crowned Member

consult an attorney regarding the law in your state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 09:18 AM

As police officers, we are taught to use only that amount of force necessary to stop a threat. The "amount of force" can range from mere presence, verbal, physical to the use of deadly force. Officers in general will recieve a great deal of training of when to escalate the amount of force being used. I've learned over the years, some of the most important words to remember are; "I was in fear of my life". The best advice given in this thread so far however is: consult an attorney regarding the law in your state.

DFrost
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Frost,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I realize that laws vary widely from state to state, perhaps you could respond in regards to the laws existing in TN.
Here is my thinking on the matter. If someone is unlawfully in my house the first thing I am reaching for is certainly not my leash. In this situation the best I would expect from a dog (any dog) is to buy me a few extra moments to reach the .45 or 12 ga. Where I do see a dog as an asset is in a situation similar to as follows:

I awaken in the night to a noise and look out my window. I see a man breaking into my vehicle in the driveway. I go outside with a gun and dog. I shout "Stop!" and the man takes off running. At this point the gun is not really necessary as I am not in danger. How would your state (or jurisdiction) view using the dog to apprehend the man in this circumstance?
I could also see a dog as being a way-point between deadly force. Perhaps someone is in your home but they are obviously drunk and confused but seem rather violent.
If you have any thoughts on the matter please chime-in. Perhaps you could also say what state you are in and what laws would apply.

Art

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:35 AM

First off, I'm in no way giving legal advice. My experience tells me your comment of: "I shout "Stop!" and the man takes off running" says it all. You then admit; "At this point the gun is not really necessary as I am not in danger." In my opinion, the threat is gone, so is the need to protect yourself or your property. Now is when you call the police.

DFrost
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Crowned Member

also, in most states, it is illegal to use deadly force to protect property. I believe Texas is the only place that allows it. I am on/off several gun groups and it's a common discussion point. In TX, you can shoot a guy walking across your yard with your TV. In every other state, you can't because 1) he is leaving and 2) he can't hurt you (unless maybe he hit you with said TV)

check out "castle doctrine" in your state. some states require that you flee until the last possible instant, while others use the "home is your castle" defense and anyone entering your house is subject to deadly force.

there have been many court precedents citing dogs as lethal weapons and a trained PPD would definitely count. so contact a local attorney and possibly your local district attorney for more information on how things are handled in your area.
ETA: and, as DFrost said, the most important thing to remember is "I was in fear for my life" also, this is the main reason that any self-defense instructor will tell you not to pull a gun unless you intend to kill. shooting to wound will usually leave you with a charge of attempted murder. IE, self-defense means you fear for your life while shooting to scare someone means that you didn't think they were going to kill you
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: I see a man breaking into my vehicle in the driveway. I go outside with a gun and dog. I shout "Stop!" and the man takes off running. At this point the gun is not really necessary as I am not in danger. How would your state (or jurisdiction) view using the dog to apprehend the man in this circumstance?
Here is my advice. The guy is running away. Problem solved. As a citizen you have not the right nor the expertise to be apprehending criminals. You do not have the training. You can get hold of something that you cannot cut lose of. Since you have no training, you could grab the guy and oops, he has a gun or knife and now you are in the morgue. Leave that to we cops and call 9-11
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:36 AM

So, a rather basic question - what are the legitimate or lawful applications of PPDs today? For commercial property protection? Or, for the protection of people with certain status (the same people who need body guards)?

Thanks...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Crowned Member

I would look at it the same as any person who wants to carry a weapon. be it for home defense or personal protection. but, the owner must realize that they will be covered by the same rules as any other means of deadly force.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page