Importing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Importing

Just as an FYI. I imported a female GSD last week and almost had a problem with her clearing customs. The airline had made copies of her passport in Germany,put the copies on her crate but forgot her passport. It was still in Frankfurt. I was in the process of scheduling panic because if she did not clear customs she was going to a kennel in Houston until the passport arrived in the US. I did NOT want my pregnant bitch in some kennel. The good news is the they did accept the copies and she cleared. I will in the future,make sure that the shipper has put copies of everything in the world on top of that crate so there is no need to remove the original and advise others to do the same. I have been importing for 25 years and have never had this happen but I plan on trying to make sure that it does not occur again. Lufthansa is a great airline and they did mail me the orginal at no charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Importing

Rene, a VERY wise warning. Thank you! I have flown overseas several times with dogs, and Lufthansa has been great to work with. Human error by airport personel looking at the vaccine record in the dog passport, then not slipping it back into the pouch, is a possibility I never thought of, but clearly can happen. Copies of the most recent pages of the passport showing "Impfungen" (vaccines, dates of them, etc) are a great idea. Another thought: If the seller can fax you a copy of the pass port, that's not a bad idea too, now I think of it, to have in hand at pick-up. Thanks for the warning.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BrightelfRene, a VERY wise warning. Thank you! I have flown overseas several times with dogs, and Lufthansa has been great to work with. Human error by airport personel looking at the vaccine record in the dog passport, then not slipping it back into the pouch, is a possibility I never thought of, but clearly can happen.
I think in the future,I will have the shipper make copies and put it in a transparent pouch so it is obvious and hopefully,they will have no need to get into the envelope containing the original.
I was definitely in panic mode.......LOLOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Crowned Member

Balto was shipped over by an animal shipping service (Trust). All I had to do was take the shipping voucher to the customs office and pay $20. Took all of 30 seconds. However, Balto came from Sweden where there is no rabies. Nobody cared about all the paperwork that was taped to the top of the crate.

BTW, those shipping services are expensive! I got a quote from one last summer and it was 700 Euros from Amsterdam. The airline fee alone was 350 Euros, the rest was for paperwork, crate, and handling.

I've also heard wonderful things about Luftansa. If possible, I will use them this summer when I pick up my puppy from Germany.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppyBTW, those shipping services are expensive! I got a quote from one last summer and it was 700 Euros from Amsterdam. The airline fee alone was 350 Euros, the rest was for paperwork, crate, and handling.

I've also heard wonderful things about Luftansa. If possible, I will use them this summer when I pick up my puppy from Germany.
Yes, also what is killing us when importing is the fact that our dollar has fallen and it takes about one and a half dollars US to equal one Euro. Peachy. I import a lot from the UK and they are a rabies free country. US Customs requires a rabies vac. Stupid,but true
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Knighted Member

I am a travel agent and have to do relocations for people who have pets and have had good outcome with LH.

Renee. what kind of dog did you import ?

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Crowned Member

Renee,

We get the health stuff faxed to us prior as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Heidi WI am a travel agent and have to do relocations for people who have pets and have had good outcome with LH.

Renee. what kind of dog did you import ?
Working line bitch

Bona. Video is on my facebook page.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6dP5k3utNE

http://www.eurosportk9.com I bred her to their Paxton
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:09 PM

ewww she's a beauty)

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Knighted Member

A bit off topc, how do they get the dog to look at them like that?
(ladylaw in your video)
Treats?
??

Kilo- GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page