Filing teeth down? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Filing teeth down?

Is it common practice for an organization (say LE or other) to file a K-9's teeth "down to nubs" prior to placing it in a retirement home?

Two people on a Georgia forum of which I am a member say that they have retired K-9s whose "teeth were filed down to nubs."

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Filing teeth down?

Absolutely not. Although, an older K9 might have WORN down or broken off teeth from bite work.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Crowned Member

Or from RMBs. I know someone who has a 10 or 11 year old working line male who likes to chew on rocks. His teeth are painful to look at.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Hm. I didn't think so either. I know a few years back that a neighbor of ours went through a rigorous qualification and adoption program for a retired K-9, and that dog's teeth were NOT filed (and had a bite as strong as a crocodile!)

- Shel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:12 PM

Have you ever heard of the TV show Breed All About It? It's on Animal Planet. In case you haven't heard of it, it's a show that goes into detail about each breed. During the GSD episode they had a sheep farmer from Germany that said he filed his dogs' canine teeth so they don't rip the sheep when they bite them. Just the point not "down to the nub".

Jennifer

Charlie, CGC- 4/22/01- Sheltie
Wally, CGC- 10/23/08- Sheltie
Lily- 07/16/10-GSD
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

samralf, I rarely watch television so I don't watch "Breed All About It," but the dogs in question are definitely retired Police K-9s, and their teeth are definitely "down to the nub."

Funny enough, a very hard-hitting, high drive retired Police K-9 the one person has...is this person's first German Shepherd because he "always wanted one." THIS should be fun.

- Shel

- PICS NOW UP!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Elite Member

I would assume that it is natural. I looked into it because Bison's are wearing down. Vet says it isn't a concern. It is very common.

Here is a photo. B-dog is almost 4, so I imagine a dog that is retirement age would be more worn than his.

(Edit to add photo.)

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Crowned Member

They were probably not filed down,just worn down. I have a mal with nubs and will eventually have to cap them
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 08:40 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

All 4 of Bretta's canines have the tips missing and no file has ever gone near her. She's only 5 and did it to herself!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I figured it was natural wear, but .... you can't argue, right?

Initially this person said that he was getting a "SAR dog" and wanted to know where he needed to go to do searches. Well when a K-9 officer informed him of certifications and such, that topic was ended.

The person came on yesterday with the subject, "My German Sheperd has issues." (Yes, I spelled it that way because they did). Apparently he had left the 6 y/o GSD in his house when he went outside shooting, and the dog went ballistic. It tore apart his house, etc. So he brought the dog outside (*brilliant*). He said when he shot down at the target...the dog chased after the bullet and lunged at the target. When he had a friend hold him next to him when he shot, the dog was trying to bite at the gun and had to be told, "release" a time or two when he latched onto the gun (*nice*). The guy said the dog "really likes to work" and when he gets into the truck knows it's "time to work." He went onto explain other events before I asked, "wait...is this the "SAR" dog?"

He said, "yeah. I got the dog from a guy who said his dad owned the dog and trained it in Russian. The dad passed away, and the son's insurance company wouldn't let him keep the dog so he gave it to me because I've always wanted a German Shepherd. I went to the local Police Dept. who told me the dog was probably a SAR dog due to him liking everyone/being friendly to people because 'if it was a true police K-9, then the dog would be aggressive to everyone and everything.'"

Oh boy.

- Shel

- PICS NOW UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page