K9 cops, tracking question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

K9 cops, tracking question

I was watching the show weds night and I noticed when one of the dogs was tracking someone he kept spinning in circles. Is this excitement? anxiety? both? Wondering if this makes him lose focus on his track and should the handler correct this or let the dog go on doing his job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Crowned Member

Re: K9 cops, tracking question

I am moving this out of the Sport Section.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 12:08 PM

I didn't see the program, so I didn't get to see the dog. Did the dog find the guy at the end of the track. If not, did they come to a logical conclusion at the end of the track (got in a car, went in a house/building etc.) It would depend on: if it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality. It is more than likely excitement. A police working dog thrives on action or the potential for action. Through routine, a dog recognizes those situations where he is going to get to do something. The decision on whether or not the dog should be "corrected" would depend on whether or not it affects the dog's ability to conduct the track. I would imagine the handler and dog have been on many tracks, both training and actual. The handler knows if the dog is proficient. Sometimes, getting the job done isn't always pretty. It doesn't look anything like what people may see when watching a sport dog track.

DFrost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Crowned Member

Wasn't the dog only spinning AFTER he was done tracking. When the handler was talking to the other officers and the camera man. (I watched it but can't remember.)

I did look like total excitement. The dog wanted to "get moving" and that wasn't happening. And if I remember correctly, this dog did NOT find the guy, the other dog did. (They were working 2 dogs. One from each side of the perimeter(sp) tracking towards eachother.)

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Yes I believe the other dog found the suspect, i seem to remember the dog spinning before and i thought during (I could be wrong) Wondering if that affects the dog when working or if it actually helps drive the dog to perform better.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 01:49 PM

My experience has been, it happens often when the dog just doesn't feel the handler is going fast enough. There are times when speed isn't the best tactical approach to a track. Again though, whether it's good or bad is dependant on the dog's proficiency.

DFrost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page