Dobermann as a Police Dog, Von Bayern - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Dobermann as a Police Dog, Von Bayern

Hi everyone. As most of you know, I'm neither a police k9 handler nor a trainer. The dobermann is the breed that I adore after german shepherds. I haven't seen any working dobermann, and from what I see workingline germanshepherds are almost the most common police dogs (also malinois). I read an interesting article, stating that working line dobermann is a real police and army dog. This trainer believes that german shepherds are too good natured for being police and army dog. Also, he thinks that germanshepherd is not structurally suitable for this task (anatomically). Of course everybody has their own beliefs and preferences. However, I really wonder what police K9 handlers think about between these two breeds.I'll be very glad if they share tehir opinions. I'll post the article I've read. Thanks in advance.

http://www.ascomannis.com/articles/lisa/lerner/#

Musa

Musa

My Kenzo 07/2007-11/2008 RIP My Baby Boy

Laila Pester-ella (the evil minpin) DOB:11/2007

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels
Re: Dobermann as a Police Dog, Von Bayern

Not far from me I have seen a giant schn. with a police officer as his police dog, that was a big black dog, I was impressed, don't see those much either, the police dog here is a lab (I was excited for he was going to bring his dog out for us to see and it was a lab i was dissappointed...lol)

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

For the most part I think Dobes have had their working ability bred out of them even more so than some lines of GSD. A true working Dobe is a tough find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:54 PM

While you may see the occasional Doberman, it's indeed rare. Most of what is available today are weak nerved basket cases with all kinds of health problems. I haven't seen a working police doberman in 20 years. that said, it doesn't mean there aren't a few out there.

DFrost
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:
For the most part I think Dobes have had their working ability bred out of them even more so than some lines of GSD. A true working Dobe is a tough find. [quote]

Exactly. No retrieve drive for scent work either. And the ones that I see are total nerve bags.

With regard to the article,aside from the fact that it was apparently written in 1998, the individual was not looking at good solid GSDs obviously. A well bred GSD is hard to beat for patrol work. The biggest problem we have with them is lack of over the top retrieve drive for scent work and the hip issue. One of my cadaver dogs is a working line GSD. Drive over the top but it is hard to find. My other cadaver dog is a field trial bred lab and I have a 16week old lab in training. Mals and dutchies are hard to beat for dual purpose dogs now because you find the retrieve drive easier along with the working temperament for patrol work
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Elite Member

I also like the Dobermann 2nd to shepherds. there are K-9 Dobes out there. i was in the Military police for 8 years on active duty. Most of our dogs were Belgian Malenois. there was one Bouvier Des Flanders which was one of the largest and aggresive dogs we had and a couple of shepherds.

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Elite Member

Nice sig. Isreal is a terrorist state? you got to be kidding me! if Hammas was present in the u.s. they would be killing americans also! go board a city bus in isreal and tell me how safe you feel!

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Master Member

marksteven- that was uncalled for and rude. next time please make that a personal reply, As for the dobe's I agree that they aren't the best working dog. I do love them though

Heidi-GSD- RIP
Dutchess-GSD RIP
Sadie-Lab-Silly girl
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Elite Member

sorry , i thought maybe she was related to Rosanne Barr, another left wing LOON!

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Elite Member

I really dont mean any harm or neg. to anyone on this site but when i see Isreal as a terrorist nation, the ONLY thing that comes to mind is the Isreali athletes that were SLAUGHTERED at the munich olympics in the 60's. how quick poeple forget or werent born then. what did they do to bring that on? Isreal has been dealing with 911 type terror attacks for 40 years and now its time to put an end by all means. Remember this: palastinians dont want piece with Isreal, they want a piece of Isreal!

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page