my dog needs to work - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

my dog needs to work

Hi everyone. I am on a mission. I have a 2.5 year old gsd. He was a rescue but is 100% pure bred. I have trained him from kindergarden to advanced obediance and then CGC. He is not a dog that wants to just be a house pet. He is extremely intelligent and I have come to the conclusion that he is not happy at home, doing pet dog things. I have a strong sense that he wants to work. He needs stimulation far beyond what I have here and he is just sitting here, unhappy and bored. I would love to have him considered for police work. I don't even know where to start but I live in New Hampshire- 10 minutes from Mass even and don't know what to do for him. I would absolutely place him into a working home but don't really know how to approach this.

Thanks alot for any advice.

Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Master Member

Re: my dog needs to work

Could you maybe look into some SchH work? find a club in your area perhaps to go check out? Or maybe even agility?

**Kristin**
-------
I love my babies, two GSDs Canyoncrest Kahn 5/22/06
and Canyoncrest Bella 8/1/08 , and My rescued girl Mika Husky Rott mix 9/1/05.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

The problem is I have a full time career and live 45+ minutes from any training facility. I work 11a-7p so can't make weeknight classes so it is incredibly difficult. He is just very high maintinence and while I am doing the best I can, I'd be quite happy if he could be used for a good cause.

Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Master Member

You can have your dog evalutated by an experienced Police trainer (I am sure others will be able to direct you how), however, I second the above posters suggestions. Based on your other posts, this may be the best situation. I feel the same way about my Kaper, however, he is a washout of Police training and will not be a working dog. There are plenty of ways you can "work" your dog without him actually be a working dog.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Master Member

I definately understand that!! my hubby was deployed in Iraq for over a year and I was working full time and then some. We hadn't thought about the deployment stuff when we had decided to take on dogs. I was gone sometimes 12 hrs a day commuting and taking care of two dogs by myself. Luckily I had a good freind that would come over to walk and exersize the dogs most days.
So are you wanting to Donate the dog to a police dept.?

**Kristin**
-------
I love my babies, two GSDs Canyoncrest Kahn 5/22/06
and Canyoncrest Bella 8/1/08 , and My rescued girl Mika Husky Rott mix 9/1/05.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

I guess I am looking for other interventions that could help. I am going to try to make a sled for him to possibly pull this winter. I am thinking about having him work by helping pull the atv in the yard. He thrives on structure and I don't want his great qualities to be wasted. He is for one bombproof- he doesn't react with gunfire (he goes to the gun range), parade racket, sirens, fireworks, etc. Another thing- he will walk on almost any surface. He is not afraid to try new things including walking on a 2x4, crawl under a chair, jump over an obsticle, loves catching things mid air, etc. He has great qualities.

Could anyone give me specific exercises that would make him "work"?

Amanda
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

I was looking to get him into the best possible situation given his personality and energy level, smarts, etc. I don't want to be selfish and I love him to death but I feel he is sad and bored and I am not providing him what he needs.

Amanda
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Master Member

Have him evaluated by all means. Its really great that you want him to be happy, but why do you feel he is not happy?
What kind of work in particular do you think he should do? Tracking? detection work? protection work? SAR?
That would help narrow down what excercises can be done with him.
Are you looking to give him up regardless or only if he is a suitable candidate?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

He isn't getting enough mental/physical stimulation. I come home feeling guilty after a day at work. He has a dane sister that plays with him but she tuckers out in 1/4 the time it takes him. I have a dog sitter over for midday play/outside break but he seems like he is just not satisfied with just playing a little. He comes to me and wants more and more and I don't have the energy level after a full day of work to give him that high intense exercise.
I don't want to give him up nor am I just trying to pass him off to anyone. I just feel like he needs more.

I think he'd do great in SAR. Detection work....then again I am not sure what he would need and all that as I am a nurse and have no experiance in law and any of the above.

I would love to find "that thing" that I could do with him that he absolutely loves and is something I can a)physically do with him and b) do without traveling all over the state to do and c) won't empty my bank account. I have limited resources and want to find someone that can either give him what he needs/ work him to his max potential or give me "tools" that I can use to make him happier and less bored. I hope this sounds right. Long story short, I want what is best for Him.

Amanda
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 06:13 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: abooot99
I think he'd do great in SAR. Detection work....then again I am not sure what he would need and all that as I am a nurse and have no experiance in law and any of the above.

I hate to be discouraging but the chances of the dog having the proper drive and temperament for scent detection is slim. You must understand that smart has nothing to do with it . The dog must have what we call retrieve/hunt drive that is over the top. The dog must retrieve anything thrown where he cannot see it. The dog must search nonstop regardless of distraction until he finds it using only his nose. NOT sight retrieving. This drive is very difficult to find in a GSD. The dog must do this in warehouses, around traffic,other animals etc etc. Any sign of the dog being distracted from searching for the thrown object washes the dog. If the dog passes this test in any environment, the hips must be xrayed. A lot involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page