German Shepherds Forum banner

Just a furry dude

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  CatMan900 
#1 ·
I liked this so I figured I’d share it!

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Ditto, I throw raw meat and chicken out on the deck and that's where he eats it. Although it's that composite decking, the meat still leaves fat stains but a few rainfalls and its washed away, or he licks it up over time.

OP - how old is your long hair GSD?

#12 ·
No he’s pretty big. Atleast to me he is. he’s 80lbs. That’s just an older photo from when he was around 8 months I’d say. I haven’t been active on here In quite a while.

The pet safe carpet is just a type of carpet I had installed that is extremely hard to stain. We even dropped wine on it and it came totally out. So if I give him a bone on the carpet we just disinfect it and vacuum it. It’s only a once a week thing anyways. I get that some ppl don’t let their dog do that but I do

Here is a few more recent photos

Attachments

#15 ·
Thanks! I’m not sure if he’s big or small. I mean I know he’s within the standard but he’s my first dog so I don’t know what big or small shepherds look like. I haven’t had him around any other shepherds to compare. None ever go to my dog park. Someone on our block has a gsd but he’s like 110+ lbs I estimate and probably not within the breed standard

#18 ·
Im hoping for an 85 pound rocket out of my 8 month old pup. He is sitting at about 72lbs or so right now. He is VERY muscular. Not very tall. It's like he is from Lodi. (that is hilarious if you are from NJ, meaningless if you're not. He would be cast in the Sopranos as Paulie if they did a dog version).

I am not the most careful with the raw meat. I have nylon type area rugs and hard wood floors. They enjoy, I spray/wipe. Knock on wood never an issue for anyone. If we had immune compromised in the house I'd be way more careful. But we don't.

OP your pup is a real looker! Bet he loves that snow :)

#20 ·
Thanks guys. Yes he really loves the snow! He is very pretty and I’m very happy with his temperament too. He was a handful his first year. He’s my first dog so it was a big learning curve for me. But from between his 1 year birthday and now.. him and I have really created a very strong bond and he Listens much better. He still tries to chase cars but he is improving and we are going to start training with an actual trainer soon. I’m hoping once we start training I can start to try doing IPO with him

#21 ·
It's nice to see a "long-furred" shepherd, they seem to be less common!

hmm, your dog looks less goofy than mine - I don't know why, mine always has his mouth hanging open and his head tilted in photos.
Yours looks more serious and focused! :)

#22 ·
I love the long coat, too. Our big-boy is 90 lbs. He was at 70 lbs his full grown until about 3 years old. That extra 20 lbs really makes a difference in his maneuverability but at 70 he was just a tad skinny.
IPO / IGP is a great sport even if you just get through the BH portion. There is so much great dog handling skills that you will learn. It really can help build your communication with your dog. Of course a good club will want you to work through the ranks, and not stop at the BH. It takes a lot of time, though. Be ready to invest a lot of energy into it.

#23 · (Edited)
I really need to learn more dog handling skills because my guy is a handful. His dad was ipo 3 and mom ipo2 so I know he’s very trainable but I’m just so inexperienced because he’s like a high energy wolf basically and He’s my first dog. There’s just sooo many things I had to learn that a breeder could never tell you. Or atleast you wouldn’t understand what it’s like to have a gsd until you actually have one! we just contacted a reputable trainer who competes in ipo and I’m hoping to someday get my dog Involved too! Once we get him to stop wanting to chase cars lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.