German Shepherds Forum banner

What do you think these lil sausages will look like?

3K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  selzer 
G
#1 ·
Helllloo! These are the puppies not even a week old, and their parents :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Your female has such beautiful colorings. Its hard to tell when they are so small but you can see a lot of light colors coming through their black puppy coat. They are super adorable no matter what :) Good luck with them!

#4 ·
The mom makes Lassie pop out in my mind. Don’t remember what breed she was though.

Your male is GORGEOUS!

No clue on coloring, I haven’t the brain power to learn all the coat colors and possible coats for pups. I don’t breed, so I just enjoy my guys and don’t worry about what color other peoples litters are, because all pups are adorable no matter the color!

#5 ·
From what I think I understand, liver is recessive, so if the male carries liver, some of the pups may end up liver, like the dam. She also appears to be a longcoat to me, so if the male also carries that gene, some of the pups could end up with long hair too. I guess we will see!

Others will let me know if I got anything incorrect. ;)

#8 · (Edited)
Mom is a liver and tan long coat.

Dad is a patterned sable short stock coat.

Dad would need to carry a liver gene to produce any livers, or a long coat gene to produce any long coats.

Puppies appear to be: 5 (3?) Black and Tan - likely to get moms pattern but not her liver coloring. The 2 (4?) sables will most likely be patterned like dad.

Coats all look to be short stock coats so far. The darker sable pup MIGHT be a long coat (wavy head), too soon to tell.

Ps. Lassie was a rough collie ;)

#9 · (Edited)
My first GSD had been named Lassie by her owner. He had to give her up when he went into a nursing home.

Having grown up with the Lassie TV series, I had to rename her. I called her Lili Marlene, after the famous WWII song. A German name for a German dog, and I figured Lili sounded enough like Lassie that the change wouldn't be difficult!

Yes, long coat and liver genes are both recessive, so pups will all be stock coat and sable or black and tan, unless Dad carries those genes.

Sable is dominant over black and tan, so if some pups have the black and tan pattern like Mom, the father must carry for black and tan. If he were homozygous for the sable gene, he would only produce sable pups.

#12 ·
Liver a dilute. Her nose is brown. I never bred a liver or a blue, so I really don't know how that will affect the pigment in the litter as a whole. Yes, liver is a color, but the bitch is a dilute. Breeding off-colors is usually frowned upon. I hope you find nice homes for the puppies. Hopefully there will be no liver puppies, and those light color pups are red sables. Evenso, a liver breeder might want to pick up one of your pups as it probably will have the carrier even if it is not liver.

G
#25 · (Edited)
These are not mine lol. One of them WILL BE mine. I just wanted to share the puppies :/ I thought they were cute, like someone said to each his own, and we arent buying to show or anything like that so the liver is actually a very pretty color, sadly none of them will be liver with the updated pictures i got.

? Uh no I did not fail on potty training correctly, im trying to prevent that before it even happens.

#19 ·
the OP has not posting anything misleading or confusing.... it’s the replies, mine included, and the piggy back on those replies. seems pretty clear that this is a litter that the OP plans to get their first pup, i believe they said in august. the potty training post is asking for suggestions in advance.

am i missing something?

#22 ·
No, I was. I didn't see all her other threads, and just vaguely caught a sentence of one while I was working so wasn't sure if it was her thread, about getting a new puppy and the way this one was posted it appeared to be her litter.

Yeah, the potty training thread was really straight forward. All of the other threads were straight forward :)

#24 ·
My bad, when people were saying, "your female," I thought it was the OPs litter.

I wouldn't purchase a pup from a liver, because a liver should never be bred. And because people breeding for off colors are generally ignoring other important traits to get those colors. I would keep looking.

G
#26 ·
Never stated "MY FEMALE" I said here are the parents.

the OP has not posting anything misleading or confusing.... it’s the replies, mine included, and the piggy back on those replies. seems pretty clear that this is a litter that the OP plans to get their first pup, i believe they said in august. the potty training post is asking for suggestions in advance.

am i missing something?
You are the only person who is actually spot on. People are just assuming things.

#30 ·
Its a coat color, the female is a "liver" brown. I actually love the color and don't understand why others don't but I get its not a "standard" for the breed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.