German Shepherds Forum banner

A Yazzy Update - 6 weeks thru 18 weeks

891 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  sebrench 
#1 ·
So, I needed to take a break from the forum for awhile. I have a really active imagination that is always trying to plan ahead, prepare, and is exceptionally good at "what if" games. This is oftentimes a strength, but just as often can be detrimental. Over time, it seemed like everything I was reading on the site here was feeding into the negative side of that characteristic. I was seeing SO many things that can go wrong with a dog, either health-wise or behavior-wise. And even when I saw good reports on young dogs progressing so nicely with their training, my dumb brain starts to wonder why MY dog isn't progressing so fast and what am I doing wrong? It's not a fun cycle to be in and it's helped to distance myself from at least some of the sources of worry.

I do still pop in once in a while and scan for some lighthearted threads to skim. And while I don't know if anyone has remembered me, I do know that when I'm involved in forums, I always like to see distant members pop in and say "Hi" and let folks know they're doing ok. So here I am. I don't know if/when I'll start being more active again. I really appreciate the community here and have enjoyed being even just a small peripheral part of it. But until my confidence levels are back where they need to be, I may continue to stay aloof.

So on to Yazzy, as she's the star of the show...

In case anyone is wondering, no, I haven't had her since she was six weeks old...that was just the first time I got to meet her and take pictures at the breeder's. She actually came home with me when she was 10 weeks old. These pictures range from 6 weeks to 18 weeks.

She's doing pretty well. We went through a short bout of roundworms and giardia...hopefully we've got that nipped in the bud. Emotionally, it feels like she's growing so fast, but physically, I think she's going at a slow and reasonable pace. She's long and lanky now. At her last vet check (about two weeks ago) she was 35 pounds. She's not showing any signs of growing pains.

Her land-sharking is oh-so-gradually becoming less frequent and softer.

Training is going slower than I would like, but I don't blame her for that in the least. I'm just not very good at it. OR, maybe I'm better than I realize, I just don't have a good grasp on understanding what I should be expecting. We're still working private lessons with a pro trainer and she gets weekly socialization in their day-care program. She's doing very well, there, and gets along great with many different breeds and sizes of dogs.

She sometimes eats her poop. And loves to eat glops of muddy dirt. :frown2:

She's super affectionate and loves to be close to her people. She's pretty good at entertaining herself when I need her to. She loves her crate and going in there on command is her most reliable (100%) training command so far. She's never done any destructive chewing, but that's probably only because I keep her environment carefully controlled and monitored.

I think she's growing into an incredibly pretty dog. She's challenging as heck....but she's good for me, and I absolutely love her to pieces.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the update!
Wow, growing so fast!!

As far as training...I found that it doesn't go in a straight line...
for example...for weeks (maybe months?) we worked on how to pass dogs calmly and it seemed like, no progress.
Then one week, bam! he understood.

On the forum, when I read some of the intense threads, my feeling is more like relief that I don't have to deal with that particular issue...
Also - it seems like all of my friends have Dog-Aggressive dogs, and I spent a lot of time worrying/preparing that my dog would be like that...and, he isn't.
But in the beginning I used to get tense and nervous whenever we had to pass another dog (due to all the stories I had heard) and that probably contributed to his bad behavior!
So yes, it is possible to overthink...

But on the other hand, the "What If" mindset is good when you have a young pup! :)
Gotta stay one step ahead of them!

#5 · (Edited)
I love her coloring. I'm glad to see you can still participate if you only read posts that are fun for you and don't upset you. I get frustrated sometimes seeing posts for problems that were avoidable if they had read the forum before they got a puppy or brought a rescue in. Then I decide I can be useful by sharing my knowledge and experience.

#7 ·
Glad to see an update, Yazzy is beautiful/adorable. Nothing not to love! I remember you being so excited about getting your pup, try not to let your expectations exceed reality. All dogs (all PEOPLE!) are different, learn at different paces and in various ways. It’s easy to sit back and daydream about puppy cuddles and forget how much work is also involved. But it’s worth it! I wouldn’t trade my challenging boys for anything. I hope this makes you feel a little better, but Rio ate poop of ALL kinds til recently and he will be a year old later this month. It is gross and you wonder how a dog that is otherwise so smart could find such great interest in eating poop! Lol! Try not to worry too much :) take everything you read with a grain of salt. Nobody can know everything and you know yourself and your dog better than anyone else.

I, and I’m sure others, would love to continue seeing updates on yourself and Yazzy.

#8 ·
I'm just seeing this post today. Yazzy is lovely! Congratulations on all your hard work. It is paying off and things will continue to get easier. Don't forget to have fun! The puppy stage is over before you know it. I can't believe my boys are 3 and 4 years old now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.