Backyard Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Backyard Dogs

This kind of thing really bugs me. This is a neighbor's GSD and the poor guy is outside ALL the time. Today he's got a cone, maybe got neutered, and I feel even worse for him.

A lot of people in my neighborhood leave their dogs outside. I'll be walking Mei and I know every house where a dog is going to be barking at us through the fence. Without fail they're there on every walk. I'm sure they're not barking at us to be mean, but they're crying for us to rescue them.

Thoughts on leaving dog in the fenced backyard all day long?? I personally dont agree with an outside dog, except if they're free to roam like on a farm or acres of land.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:28 PM
Elite Member

Some dogs prefer being outside.
Shane'sDad and crittersitter like this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:12 PM
Crowned Member

Try to let it go as long as he is not being abused or neglected. Others are stuck in a crate all day long inside and you just don't see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Ya, very true. I'll try not to let it bug me so much. I should ask the owners if he can play with Mei. Last summer was just so hot and half the state was on fire. He was outside through all of it.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

Its sad to me, too, but the dog looks healthy in spite of the cone.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:05 PM

Check your state animal laws. He does need to have shelter and water outside. Mine love being outside and would be happiest if I stayed outside with them all day long! I don't leave mine outside when I am not home to supervise, though. I'd be concerned about other people causing mischief and hurting my dogs.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

They are dogs. Not children and not furbabies. Personally I prefer my dogs inside unless supervised however clean water, food, shelter and appropriate care and do what you will. I know loads of happy and healthy dogs who live outside and have never been in a house.
I don't think it's safe to leave a dog unattended outside with a cone. I would be nervous about that.
But my little idiot sits in a crate all day so what do I know.
selzer, JessicaR and Mei like this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:43 PM

My neighbors have their dogs out all day they are brought in at night When I moved in he told me that I have seen him walk the dogs and they are cared for. Yeah I would worry leaving mine out if I wasn’t there
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:47 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
This kind of thing really bugs me. This is a neighbor's GSD and the poor guy is outside ALL the time. Today he's got a cone, maybe got neutered, and I feel even worse for him.

A lot of people in my neighborhood leave their dogs outside. I'll be walking Mei and I know every house where a dog is going to be barking at us through the fence. Without fail they're there on every walk. I'm sure they're not barking at us to be mean, but they're crying for us to rescue them.

Thoughts on leaving dog in the fenced backyard all day long?? I personally dont agree with an outside dog, except if they're free to roam like on a farm or acres of land.

I see it a lot here too. Just like you, I know which houses have dogs and which ones have a fenced in yard. At least that dog in your picture gets to be outside. Some dogs don't see the light of day for more than 10 - 20 mins a day to do their business. It's worse being stuck in the house. It's like a prison....23.5 hours in the "cage" and 30 minutes outside...every day, week, month, and year. I've talked to quite a few of my neighbors who have dogs. It's sad, really. I never see them walk their dogs. They don't take them hiking or anywhere except to the vet. There's no training. Anyway, yeah, it's a common sight.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:32 AM
Crowned Member

They are animals. Animals that are not domesticated, live outside 24/7. I think it is healthy for dogs to spend a LOT of time outside. I think it is easier on dogs in areas where temperatures get COLD, or HOT, for them to be outside all the time, with proper shade/shelter. Because I think it is harder on a dog to go from 70 to 20 degrees than it is for a dog to grow the proper coat and spend most of their time in the temperatures that they will be in. I think it is harder for a dog to go from 70 to 95 to, rather than being in the 95 and using shade and water to keep them comfortable.

I'd rather see a dog outside with free access to somewhere to potty, and water, and somewhere to get out of the rain, somewhere to go if it is cold and snowing, then to know those folks have a dog, but it must be inside for extended periods, probably crated.

What I do not like is how alone that dog looks. He obviously wants to go inside because that is where his people are. Dogs are not solitary creatures. Two dogs together is kind of ideal.

I do not like the idea of a dog with free run of a farm. A dog is domestic. But it still has instincts and drive, intelligence, etc. A dog that has acreage to roam over can be just as bored as a dog in a fenced yard. But the dog with acreage has so many more opportunities to get into mischief. Or to get out and run over by a car, shot or trapped by hunters, killed at neighboring farms.

It is a very human thing to think that a dog should be free to roam, have more space, and all that. Because we put human attributes on dogs. A dog knows what he has experienced. A dog that has lived inside with the run of the house, may find it hard to be thrust out into a yard, especially if he is an only. A dog raised in the yard knows nothing other than staying outside when the family goes inside. He does not feel slighted. That is his life, and he is fine with it. But a dog given no boundaries IS like children without boundaries -- unhappy. Dogs with full reign over a farm is very likely to dig out, attack chickens, dig holes, run amok, chase neighbors or worry neighboring farm animals. A dog that has clear boundaries and a good routine, can be just find whether they ever go inside our not.
Sabis mom likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page