Backyard Dogs - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Crowned Member

Backyard Dogs

@selzer I donít like a stuffed in a boxed thatís when you also have a super keyed up dog even if the dog is dead calm I would imagine. I had mentioned a secured area that would mean a kennel. Dogs can easily get into trouble if loose all day in the yard unsupervised and bored. If I had multiple dogs I myself would get a kennel out in the yard. My dogs were not left loose in the house until they were trusted. Now with the weather so beautiful I just leaving the sliding door open and they are out all day come in and out when Iím home. This prevents jumping at my glass door pleading for me to come out. They have gotten into trouble back there in the wilderness a few times with me home they play hard-hole above nail from sliding on something sharp, Luna chewed a stick and was wedged in the roof of her mouth, a couple of scraped pads, bee stings, scratch from a visiting ground hog etc. There are feral cats that live in the woods a few like to lie in the front yard or in the street of the private road visible to the dogs. I have to make sure Luna does not goes all nutty barking at them and causing a great disturbance. There are often days they do depend on each other for exercise I can never run them like they run each other. I do get enjoyment that they get use of their yard. It why I sacrifice it to the shepherds. The sadness of rainy days-
selzer likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 05-18-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:45 AM
Crowned Member

My malamute was the only dog I've had that genuinely preferred to be outside (alone). He followed my daughter outside one night as she carried out the trash bag. She returned inside and didn't notice that he had stayed out. He was old, maybe 13 or so at the time and slept indoors. Next morning I could not find him anywhere inside and went outside to look for him in a bit of a panic. We had a lot of snow already and had gotten another 6-8" of snow that night. I came to a snow covered mound and figured it was him, I thought he had passed as it was bitter cold as well, but the mound moved and he shook off the snow and reveled that he was fine and had been cleaning out cans of clam chowder. My daughter did not want to remove the snow to lift the lid off of the garbage bin and just set the bag on top to which gave him easy access.

We gauge things like comfort based on our own perceptions and often forget that most dogs are well equipped to handle Mother Nature.
Sabis mom likes this.

Last edited by Nigel; 05-18-2019 at 08:52 AM.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:03 AM
Crowned Member

Well by some of these responses my dog has a horrible life, lol. She gets locked in a crate when I cannot attend her and is seldom outside alone. She is never off leash and generally is close enough to touch me be it on the bed, the couch or the floor.
Most often when eating her dish is in my lap or between my feet and sometimes I turn the TV off without asking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:08 AM
Crowned Member

Yes most dogs I think shepherds prefer the cold. Winterfell pups but they adapt. In the full throws of summer it is important to have a shady place for the dogs to cool off. I often see Max run under some trees to cool off. They can not do that if there is no place to get away from the strong blaring sun after running around. There was adjusting when we got our chihuahua.
One time I thought I let him unknowingly out in the coldest of winters forgetting about him as I was looking all for him through out the house- doubting myself. Knowing he could probably not stand those temps very long getting really worried as he was no wear to be found. He was hiding under neath a pile of blankets behind the corner chair not making a sound.

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
Liked all the responses. I should have been more clear. It's mainly just this one neighbor's GSD. I can tell he doesn't like being out for so long. Like right now he's scratching on the door. He always sits up there barking at the door. I'm sure he enjoys it for a little bit but not all day. Pretty sure every time I go outside there he is. I should take Mei over to play! They haven't played in a while. All he wants to do is hump her and she does not like it. I dont think Mei likes him lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
If you know the dog and they get along even a little, take yours to play when theirs is out of the cone. You can keep them busy enough with activities that he wonít have time to pester her. Get them running together.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:01 AM

back yard dog

Being one of those who has land/farm I would not allow mydog to run free it is never safe. People even with their kids WILL come onto your property even though you have a no enter and beware of signs just to look at your horses/goats;yep, woke up- heard voices,looked out the window and there was like a small bus load of kids with parents at my farm trying to pet the goats. you will have problems with wild animals including bears/coyotes. Dogs will not stay on the property and will roam so now you have hit by ATV/Trucks etc-yes I lost a pet that way yearsback when it went after an animal and got sidetracked-very few humans see their surrounding when driving but most don’t pay attention, are speeding and have tunnel vision when driving(I mean come on they hit slow moving turtles). My GSD prefers to be outside almost all day even in the rain and *can come in on its own if he wanted* but he is still supervised. If I can’t check up on him or brush cutting he goes into the large kennel in the front. When I am not home he like the cat, goes into their large cage by the door as requested by my fire dept. There is not enough water nor any fire hydrants out here in these woods/land to fight a house fire, by time the fire deptpartment get out there and get the hose down to the fire pond it will be too late and they will not go in looking for an animal but they will grab the caged/dog if he is right by the door. I tell them to go strait for the pets first and foremost. Houses can be replaced, lives-human or animal cannot. If the dog is the only pet then he/she will most likely be clingy to its owner. Some people still have dogs/cats for the sole purpose they were bred for-protection/ rodent control and not lap pets, so as long as they are cared for, have protection from the weather when needed I find nothing wrong with that. Like others have said, go over there and make some new friends.

Last edited by dojoson41; 05-24-2019 at 03:09 AM.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:19 AM
Master Member

We have a pet door and I have seen that my dog's choice is, whether inside or outside, he prefers to be within sight of me.
It's all about the 24/7 surveillance...

As a kid, our Great Dane stayed outside in our fenced yard with doghouse when we were gone. Most neighbors did that with their dogs too. She hung out with Sarge, the St. Bernard next door (they interacted through the fence and could often be seen lying together, one on each side of the fence!). To be honest, I think that a fenced yard is more comfortable to a dog than staying in a crate indoors...if I were a dog, I'd pick fenced yard + doghouse over crate any day! You are able to go potty whenever you need to...and do some zoomies or chase squirrels if you get the urge...

I wanted to add that in this day and age, just as it's no longer OK to let your kids bike over to the grocery by themselves, it's no longer OK to leave your dog in the yard and let people stick their hands over the fence...we have all become super-careful, for better or worse...

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix

Last edited by GSDchoice; 05-24-2019 at 09:26 AM.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post

I wanted to add that in this day and age, just as it's no longer OK to let your kids bike over to the grocery by themselves, it's no longer OK to leave your dog in the yard and let people stick their hands over the fence...we have all become super-careful, for better or worse...
I've learned a few things about our local animal control board by listening to the county's podcast. It comes out every two weeks. I've discovered that for the most part they are firm but fair. I've also learned a bit about their thought process when deciding cases. I've discovered how much fees are and for what and a few laws I missed the last time I read them. Mostly I've learned that an ounce of prevention is much less costly than that pound of cure!

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page